TCP/IP settings

Help please for non techie person!
I had a home network in operation until recently. Main machine running XP pro through ethernet connection to Netgear modem/router and second pc with wireless card running Win 98SE. I recently installed more memory into XP machine and it all went funny. I had to reset CMOS settings to get it to boot and touch wood everything works fine - except for internet. I am getting the "cannot find server or DNS error message".

I am told by broadband service provider helpline that I have a problem with TCP/IP settings but that effectively is my problem not theirs!

The hardware must still be working fine as I can access internet via Win 98 machine.

Can anyone suggest any helpful ideas before I do something very stupid!

mgmcc 20:57 27 Feb 06

Open a Command Prompt window, run the command IPCONFIG /ALL and you should get details similar to these - click here Post back the details it shows for the Local Area Connection.

Thanks MGMCC for trying to help. Unfortunately when I run IPCONFIG /ALL from the command prompt as you suggest, all I get is WINDOWS IP Configuration with the C:\> prompt. There is no further data displayed!

Can only assume that I have completely lost all my settings. Can you offer any further advice?

Thanks
Colin

mgmcc 13:02 01 Mar 06

If you open the Network Connections folder, is there an entry for "Local Area Connection"?

If not, have a look in Device Manager to see if the Network Adapter is installed properly.

Yes, there is an entry under Network Connections - LAN or High Speed Internet 1394 Connection connected, firewalled 1394 Net Adapter#2.

If I click on connection status the General tab shows "connected". The Support tab shows nothing in IP Address, Subnet Mask etc.

If I click on the Repair button it shows "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed. Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection Cannot proceed".

Does this help at all?

mgmcc 22:08 01 Mar 06

The "1394" connection is a *FIREWIRE* connection and it will always show as "connected" even though it isn't in use. However, it isn't your "Local Area Connection" (network adapter) which should appear as a separate entry as in this screenshot - click here

If there isn't a Local Area Connection entry then, as per my previous message, check in Device Manager to see if there is a problem with the Network Adapter.

Thanks for your patience,

Device Manager, Network Adapter lists several devices such as a Realtek RTL 8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC Packet Scheduler Minport, along with several devices with the title of WAN Miniport. All such devices appear to be working correctly.

mgmcc 09:32 02 Mar 06

Device Manager should only be showing the Network Adapter as click here unless you have selected to show "hidden" items, when all the Miniport junk appears as click here

The Realtek device is only displayed if the "show hidden devices" field is ticked.

Thanks
Colin

phono 21:55 02 Mar 06

Try reinstalling your Realtek RTL 8139 NIC.

mgmcc 08:35 03 Mar 06

You originally said <<< I had to reset CMOS settings to get it to boot >>>.

It is possible that, in resetting the BIOS, an on-board Network Adapter could have been set to "disabled". Go back into the BIOS Setup and check that you don't have "disabled" shown against any on-board peripheral devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now