Taskbar ..problem in safe mode help please..thanky

bof:) 09:50 26 Jul 06

Hi All, My brother's PC has been hit by a virus that was installed when my neice got a message saying:

'PC was infected click here to download, WinAntivirusPro2006.
to get rid of it'

This she did and proptly infected the computer.

Clearing the virus has been done via the MWR website using HijackThis but they do not believe the taskbar problem is virus related.

So can you help please.

THE PROBLEM:

When I boot into safe mode, the task bar is a thin line at the bottom of the screen.

If you hold down the left button and try to push the top of the taskbar up, there is no arrow to do this.

If you right click the taskbar, 'Lock the task bar'is greyed out'.

If after right clicking the task bar, you go to properties, and remove the tick from 'lock the taskbar', you get the arrow back that appears at the top of the taskbar, but you cannot 'push' the arrow above the top of the taskbar.

You cannot get to the start button by putting the cusor into the bottom left corner of the task bar.

I've tried altering the resolution on the screen but it always resets to 800X600 when you click apply.

Also the 'windows' button does not work, neither does ctrl+esc to try and reach the start button.

But alt+F4 does work, so I can get out of safe mode and back into normal mode.

In normal mode the taskbar can be adjusted as normal.

I've now run out of ideas, can you help?

Thankyou,

Mike

VoG II 09:54 26 Jul 06

You could try Restore to XP Default click here

bof:) 10:44 26 Jul 06

Thankyou VoG™, I've copied the website address for when I go to my brothers.

Can I just ask you, have I missed anything within safe mode that yo can think of?

thanks, Mike

bof:) 17:01 26 Jul 06

Hi all, I tried the tool VoG™ suggested and it did not work.

Everything is still the same as my 1st post.

Any more thoughts on this please,

Mike

Graham ® 17:57 26 Jul 06

Can you do a System Restore to before the virus? It's amazing how many problems can be cured by a simple Restore.

bof:) 20:27 26 Jul 06

Hi Graham ®, I'm not sure, I know my brother has had the virus for approx 5-6 days but he says it was 'doing odd things' before then such as running slowly and the floopy drive not recognising any floppy discs.

I'll see how far his restore points go back. I know he never sets them himself. I'll see when XP made some.

Thanks for the advice,

Mike

ps, I'm also working with MRU to clear the virus 1st.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…