Taskbar Hidden - No Start Button!

dewskit 20:51 27 Nov 06

After my computer (running Windows XP Home) had been in sleep mode, I awakened it as usual by moving the mouse around, but when the desktop reappeared on the monitor my taskbar was missing (I assume hidden).
Looking at the MS Help says to unhide the taskbar, click on the START button - but that has gone too!! Nothing helpful about finding the start button that I can see...

Please help!!

Many thanks in advance

Tony

X™ 20:53 27 Nov 06

Press the start button on the keyboard.

skidzy 20:54 27 Nov 06

Righ click on the bottom of your screen,Properties/untick autohide the taskbar...maybe !

Technotiger 20:54 27 Nov 06

Press Ctrl plus Esc, that will bring up the Start Menu.

bof:) 20:56 27 Nov 06

Hi X™, have you tried taking mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen, clicking and holding down the left mouse button and dragging up the screen? Just in case the task bar is there but hiding?

Mike

bof:) 20:58 27 Nov 06

sorry I meant Hi dewskit !

dewskit 21:06 27 Nov 06

Thanks everyone:

X™ Do not have a start button on my keyboard (Feel like the man telling Customer Support - "But mine doesn't have an 'Any Key'")

Technotiger
I had tried that originally to ger to the Help menu, but no actual Start button appears...

bof:) & skidzy

Have tried clicking both left and right mouse buttons all over the area at the bottom of the sacreen to no avail. Clicking and holding down Left button whilst dragging upwards does not reveal the taskbar either.

Technotiger 21:08 27 Nov 06

Hi, use Ctrl plus Esc again and then do a System Restore.

loser7 21:09 27 Nov 06

This is just a thought, but if the taskbar has been moved, somehow to the top of the screen you could try bof and skidzy's suggestions again but at the top of screen.

anskyber 21:12 27 Nov 06
  skidzy 21:15 27 Nov 06

OR:

Ok something to try:

Close any open desktop and taskbar applications, then open your registry and find the key below.

start/Run/type regedit and navigate to

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ExplorerStuckRects]

Delete the entire "StuckRects" key, or "StuckRects2" for Windows 2000/XP, and reboot.

When Windows restarts the taskbar should be set back to a default working state.

Registry Settings
User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ExplorerStuckRects]

If in any doubt about editing the registry,create a system restore point first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…