Taskbar Freezing

CDL 21:56 20 Nov 04

Yes I know; we all are in this weather ! But this in on XP Pro - as soon as I connect to the internet (DialUp) the taskbar freezes up and nothing on it responds. Sometimes it 'clears' and then it's fine for the rest of the session but other times I have to restart. I have gone to the extent of reinstalling windows but the the same happens even with no other programs installed. My ISP cant help and needless to say it isnt a BT fault .... !

Any ideas ?

Giggle n' Bits 22:10 20 Nov 04

a Clean install would involve FDISK, Format Install. Should this be a OEM machine like Packard Bell, Dell, Mesh etc then do you mean a Factory install was carried out ?

From installing you Windows, then you need to install the Motherboard Drivers, Graphics, Audio, etc.

Have you got the Modem cable in Line & not Phone on rear of PC.

Check the status of the ISP you use and see if there having any problems, if they are this could be the cause.

Have you recently upgrade or changed any hardware ?

Check your CD Drives, Floppy drive is working fine.

Then run a HDD Diagnostic Test. for the manufacture of your HDD.

Most importantly download the Windows Updates (don't install service Pack two just yet) until the problem is fixed.

Also check you Graphics Card/chip display properties, maybe its adjusted itself from a 3rd party software.

CDL 22:30 20 Nov 04

Thanks for the response RedBerry.

I have reinstalled Windows (XP Pro with SP2).This following a full format and overwrite with zeros using the Maxtor Powermax utility - which confirmed the disk OK.
The same situation occurs wheter the motherboard drivers are updated or not.
The modem cable is correctly installed.
The ISP confirms that they have no issues and I have tried 2 other alternatives.
No hardware changes. All drives appear to be working correctly.
Display properties all appear to be ok
The few Windows updates avaliable make no difference when installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac