Taskbar clutter

Liza 00:37 26 Jun 06

My sister has a PC with win 98SE. The computer has been running so slow (3 minutes to startup and 4 mins to open outlook express. I've removed temp files, defragmented and cleaned windows.

Its slightly better now but startup has any number of files of which I managed to remove some. There are some on the taskbar, like my computer, floppy disk etc. I've forgotten how to deal with such problems can someone help please.
Thanks. Liza

MichelleC 08:33 26 Jun 06

I can't recall much about 98, but Startup Inspector is a good free utility which you can prevent non-vitals from starting up click here which will speed things up.

Stuartli 09:01 26 Jun 06

Type msconfig into Run and select the Startup tag.

You can see what is being opened up when you bootup and uncheck those that are unrequired.

However, there are some that should NOT be unchecked so here's a guide:

click here

Liza 11:54 26 Jun 06

Thank you MichelleC and Stuartli. I'll get my sister to work on the advice you have given. Liza

Liza 17:46 26 Jun 06

MichelleC

Before contacting my sister I tried the free utility on my computer. The "point" freebee could not complete a .dll file was missing it informed me and the inspector one checked my computer and came up with a whole load of errors and said I would have to purchase @ $37 plus $4 for extended use. Is this true. Have I not done it properly? Liza

woodchip 17:56 26 Jun 06

That's a load of cobblers. Remove it from you computer. By Add Remove Programs then Delete the Folder it put on the Comp

Bingalau 18:49 26 Jun 06

I've always typed "prefetch" without the quotation marks in the "Run" window and then deleted all the items that are situated in the window which comes up. The idea then being that only the bare essentials needed to open with are used. But others are added as you call on them, such as Kodak and other programs. I have just done it now and there were 157 items in it. I've deleted the lot and hope when I re-boot in a minute or two, that it will do so a lot quicker. After a while they build up again though.
..Bingalau..

MichelleC 08:46 27 Jun 06

I never heard of that, Liza, and I've used it for years. May be worth doing a few deep scans for malaware etc:

Ewido click here

Adaware click here

and an online virus scan click here

Graham ® 09:32 27 Jun 06
  VoG II 09:36 27 Jun 06

This is Windows 98 - where does prefetch come into it?

Liza 10:50 27 Jun 06

MichelleC

I have norton systemworks and it does all my virus protection bits plus I have spyware from my isp.

Sorry for being behind times 'what is melaware? Sounds like crockery! Are ewido, adaware virus protection software. Please tell me before I do the clicks. Incidentally I had to Go Back to restore my drive after using that inspector utility. My computer is xp with 4 hds (2 SATA, 1 scsi, 1 primary ATA) etc. Thanks Liza

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…