Task Scheduler Problem on XP Pro SP2

BillySilly 11:02 18 Nov 07

Hi
I have a 15-month old Dell Inspiron 6400 running XP Pro with SP2. For over
2 months I have had the following problems.
Problem 1: Accessing "My Computer" or clicking on "Send To" takes 160 seconds before a response.
Problem 2: Every time I switch on, I get the Dell (XP) page saying "We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully....
then choosing Start Windows Normally Windows runs. If I choose Safe mode it also starts but the problem is still there when I restart.

I had put these faults down to Dell Diagnostics reporting faults in the Phillips SDVD8820 drive, one of which was drive spindle error.
It had always been noisy but I thought it was the poor quality Dell or Philips as several notes on the web reported it was noisy. It has always worked, so I left it until I could source another drive as the warranty was up. I wish I had contacted Dell while it was still under warranty!
I have now replaced the DVD drive but this has not cured this problem nor the problem I have with "My Computer" or "Send To". I have used Restore back to the new state but no difference so I presume it is not therefore a driver or device problem. I hope that someone can save me having to re-install Windows.
The only similar fault I found on the web was a thread on a different forum which
said to go into Administrative Tools and check Event Manager. I have logged on as Administrator and done this but get the same message under all 3 headings: Unable to complete the operation ... The interface is unknown.
The other thing I have tried is "Help and Support" which gives me the hour glass for a few seconds and then nothing. I don't seem to have an XP Repair option on my Dell XP CD so don't know where to start.

I have run SFC /SCANNOW but that made no difference.
Running services.msc and Event Viewer I found it was marked automatic and stopped. I resellected it, Apply, Start. It started but after the scrolling bar I got the following message.
Could not start the Event Log service on Local Computer. Error 1501: No event log file could be opened so the event logging service did not start.
I have checked that the AppEvent.Evt SecEvent.Evt and SysEvent.Evt files exist in the C:\WIndows\system32\config folder but then found in their Properties that they were marked Read Only presumably at the time they were last made 01:09:07. Unticking the Read Only boxes I have got Event Logging to work.
Today’s errors in the chronological order were

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7022
Date: 18-11-07
Time: 09:09:40
User: N/A
Computer: DDZK3B2J
Description:
The Task Scheduler service hung on starting.

Event ID: 7022
Time: 09:11:03
Description:
The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service hung on starting.

Event ID: 7001
Time: 09:11:03
Description:
The Canon Camera Access Library 8 service depends on the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service which failed to start because of the following error:
After starting, the service hung in a start-pending state.

Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10010
Time: 09:34:54
User: DDZK3B2J\Allpress
Description:
The server {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Yesterday I got the following similar error
Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10010
Date: 17-11-07
Time: 22:47:22
User: DDZK3B2J\Allpress
Description:
The server {9B1F122C-2982-4E91-AA8B-E071D54F2A4D} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Looking at the dependencies the crucial error appears to be 7022 The Task Scheduler service hung on starting.
Looking at Services, Task Scheduler I see it is set to Start-up type Automatic and Service Status Starting
Changing the Start-up type and Applying does not change the Service Status from Starting and this is presumably the reason I get the error The Task Scheduler service hung on starting.
Can anyone help me change this Service Status?

eedcam 22:53 18 Nov 07

Shot in the dark but have you tried Ccleaner and run a registry check for problems

brundle 23:07 18 Nov 07

Have you ever run manufacturer's diagnostic checks on the hard-drive? Or run a disk check?
Many of those problems could be due to corrupted data on the drive, or unrepairable damage.

BillySilly 08:22 19 Nov 07

Yes I ran CCleaner and the Dell Diagnostics which has only ever shown thr DVD drive was faulty and is fine since I changed it. I haven't run a registry check. Can you recommend a freeware one. I discounted it but something at some time changed the log files to read only

eedcam 08:53 19 Nov 07

Ccleaner does registry fixes also I would have thought that as Task scheduler is only there to enable tasks that are sheduled to run its just acting like any other software and hanging on at least one schedule . Have you gone through what tasks you have scheduled perhaps disabling them might help.Noticed on google task schedule hanging is not uncommon

BillySilly 09:50 19 Nov 07

I ran CCleaner again after I posted my last reply and noticed the registry bit! I haven't rebooted yet. I will into the tasks that are scheduled and come back to you

BillySilly 11:38 19 Nov 07

No change after the reboot. Alt Tab gives only the current tasks

eedcam 18:33 19 Nov 07

I would guess that points to it being one of your schedules .Firewall a/virus perhaps. Services does not give an accurate showing of what is running Eg mine says automatic up dates enabled and on automatic I know it is'nt though I did check in the security centre to confirm .I know thats not related to your problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…