Task Manager - System Image running high

Steve A 20:53 04 Sep 09

Hi,
My parents are running a Windows 95 machine which is running painfully slowly. I've looked in the Task Manager and 'System' is running at around 80% even when no other resource hungry tasks running.

After looking on the net this is a common problem, but there are literally hundreds of different messages being given. So I thought I'd come on here and hopefully get some guidance.

What could be causing this issue? I'm fully up to date with windows update, I've run a virus scan an found no issues with this either.

Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks

Technotiger 20:58 04 Sep 09

If you mean System Idle Process, this is quite normal and is reading correctly. Not unusual for this to read in the 90's percentage-wise.

Steve A 21:00 04 Sep 09

Hi Technotiger,

No, I don't mean the System Idle process. I'm aware that this is quite often high when nothing is happening. It's the image name 'System'. That's what made me query it.

Technotiger 21:07 04 Sep 09

Perhaps it is doing auto-updates or similar behind-the-scenes'?

Steve A 21:09 04 Sep 09

Possibly, but its been doing it most of the time for quite a few weeks so I would expect any updates to be cleared in the time the problems have been occurring.

Technotiger 21:13 04 Sep 09

click here

Perhaps you could also reduce some of the items that run automatically at Start-up, that may not really be needed at that time.

Steve A 21:17 04 Sep 09

Sorry, I've just noticed I've put Windows 95, when I'm actually running Windows XP. I was talking about it whilst typing and didn't realise!

Technotiger 21:34 04 Sep 09

XP - in that case, it could also be creating System Restore Points, running Auto-scans with various programs, defragging or M'soft updates among other things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced