Task Manager Replacement?

J B 13:52 13 Aug 06

Has anyone ever used Process Explorer,and or Whats Running. I have read reviews on both and both seem to be good. Task Manager as far as I know doesn't break running processes down so you can actually see which process is which, so any comments would be helpful. J.B.

anskyber 14:13 13 Aug 06

"Task Manager as far as I know doesn't break running processes down so you can actually see which process is which", Certainly mine in XP does and under processes lists each together with the CPU usage for each.

€dstowe 14:19 13 Aug 06

"Task Manager as far as I know doesn't break running processes down so you can actually see which process is which" ?????

Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and click on the Processes tab at the top. That will show and name all the processes open at the time and the proportion of the CPU capacity is being used by each.

€dstowe 14:24 13 Aug 06

Don't get trapped into installing loads of software that does more or less the same as things already included as part of Windows. Especially something that you would only normally use very rarely - like Task Manager.

Keep software to a minimum - only installing stuff that you need. That way you will keep the machine operating at its best for longer.

Coff 14:44 13 Aug 06

Both programs, Process Explorer and What's Running, are useful.

In Process Explorer, if you hover your mouse over a process, it will give you more details, eg. you will have a number of svchost processes running, hover the mouse and it will show you which service each one is associated with. Also, if you right click a process and then click on Properties then Performance Graph, you can isolate CPU usage for that process.

What's Running gives you a wealth of information about processes, services, drivers, startup, etc. should you need it.

J B 15:43 13 Aug 06

I think you are right in what you say about installing loads of software. I won't use it often anyway so will leave it for the time being. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…