task manager program-unidentifiable

nhojnhoj35 14:08 16 Sep 04

hi, i`m trying to get a friends pc running after a SERIOUS virus infection, or should i say infestation.
I`ve pretty much managed to clear it of all trojans and viruses, spyware and other such nasties but theres a program running in task manager that seems to be sapping computer memory and causing programs to terminate when opened.

its called sgb7xvwlnb.exe.

if i manually stop it then the problem goes away.
i have stopped it from the startup menu (run, msconfig,startup, untick box, `apply` but after reboot it reappears. its sitting in the wndows/system32 folder and won`t allow me to delete it.
any help would be gratefully received

Baledor 14:13 16 Sep 04

and restart your PC in Safe Mode (CTRL at start up) then delete the file when your computer restarts.

Jeffers22 14:16 16 Sep 04

Google came up with no hits. Have you tried to find it in the registry? If it starts again, after a reboot, it is likely there is a call for it in the registry.

The file is not on my XP pro machine.

nhojnhoj35 14:17 16 Sep 04

ok ill try that.
sounds like it might be something dodgy

nhojnhoj35 14:17 16 Sep 04

ok ill try that.
sounds like it might be something dodgy

nhojnhoj35 15:48 16 Sep 04

@jeffers22 - i checked on google and unusually there was no information at all about it.
it describes itself as some kind of microsoft system checker

@baledor - i followed your suggestion and it worked. pc seems fine now. no ill effects. thx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…