Task Manager Problem xp home

Eargasm 23:39 09 Nov 04

Hi all
Had a major lock-up tonight with the pc,i coulden't even switch it off,i had to unplug from the mains, after restarting the pc it was so slow and task manager reported cpu 100%.

drwtsn 32.exe was taking most of the resources about 95%,so i ended the process and cpu usage dropped to about 7% and the pc worked ok. I ran sfc /scannow but after rebooting the cpu usage was back to 100% with drwtsn 32.exe again taking nearly all of the usage.

Can anyone help with this problem,or if i need drwtsn 32.exe to run at startup.

Cheers Phil

dan 11 23:59 09 Nov 04

This sounds like Drwatson, an in built diagnostic application with most versions of windows. Although virus and trojans can come from variations of the name.

Have a look @ click here= and see what you can find.

THE TERMINATOR 00:05 10 Nov 04

You have Doctor Watson starting at bootup. See if it is in your STARTUP FOLDER and delete the shortcut from there, if not, RUN msconfig and check the startup tab for the drwtsn 32.exe file and disable it....TT

Eargasm 00:23 10 Nov 04

Thanks guys

I have just noticed ,earlier tonight i updated my sygate firewall from 5.5 to 5.6 and i think this is causing the problem, if i end the process (drwtsn 32.exe ) in task manager cpu usage is ok but after connecting to the internet my sygate firewall is not running.

If i uninstall the sygate firewall (drwtsn 32.exe )is not listed in task manager processes and cpu usage is fine.

It looks like the problem is connected to the sygate update,but i am not sure what is the problem.I am currently online with the firewall uninstalled,but the pc is working fine.

hugh-265156 00:36 10 Nov 04

try free zonealarm in the meantime maybe its very good click here and click the update now to download the latest version

Eargasm 21:52 10 Nov 04

It was definately the new version of sygate (5.6) that was causing the problem,i have now installed 5.5 and everything is ok.

I also found another thread by "smegs" who was having probs with the latest version click here

huggy71 i have tried the zonealarm firewall a few months back ,but changed to sygate after getting repeated true vector engine errors,but thanks anyway.

Phil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…