task manager problem

bodigs 13:08 04 Jun 06

hi every time i open my search in the start menu it will search for the problem but wont close wont close i then open the task manager to end the programme all the items on my desktop go away and dont come back until i restart my pc it only happens with this programme my pc is a laptop windows xp home edition toshiba satellite hope someone can help me thank you
diarmuid

VoG II 13:16 04 Jun 06

Try sfc /scannow click here

bodigs 16:50 04 Jun 06

hi VoG done as you said typed it in to the run task bar it came up and say,s "windows can not find sfc/scannow make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again to search for a file click start button and then click search"well as you know if i try to do that thats when my problem with the search and task manager thanks for your prompt response any other ways?

bodigs 16:52 04 Jun 06

sorry VoG meant done as the link you gave me told me what to do not you personally thanks

VoG II 18:32 04 Jun 06

sfc <space>/scannow

bodigs 19:54 04 Jun 06

sorry bout that well done it with the space this time and the verifing windows scan came up and ran its scan after it was finished it went away with no follow up box so it done what it had to do, i clicked on search and same thing happened is there any other things i can try?will try anything rather than reload my pc i have tons of stuff on it that i just cant replace any suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks for your time VoG

VoG II 20:17 04 Jun 06

Try a repair of Windows - you should print this lot out before you start click here

bodigs 21:02 04 Jun 06

many thanks for your patience and very useful links done what the link suggested i put in my toshiba recovery disc and it will only let me reformat the whole hard drive and says i will lose everything that is in my pc have you any other suggestions? i,l try anything rather than lose my work thanks again for your time VoG

Spark6 21:07 04 Jun 06

It sounds as if you may have a similar problem to one I had last month with desktop icons and computer freezing after right-clicking the desktop.

This was apparently caused by a Windows update and the file verclsid.exe. Search for this file on this site and you should find my earlier thread.

Hope this helps!

bodigs 21:18 04 Jun 06

hi sparks typed that name in to search here on pcadvisor it returned no results any idea how i can find it or where to look any help at all much appreciated thanks

LinH 21:22 04 Jun 06

When you say that you 'open the search facility and it searches for the problem', what exactly do you mean? The search facility searches for files/folders on your pc, it doesn't solve problems.

Would I be right to assume that when you power on your pc it works ok as long you don't try to use 'search'?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…