Task manager locked due to virus

matri_chd 18:30 03 Apr 08

Task manager locked due to virus

In XP home when trying to change the value from 1 to 0 to enable it, it does not save the value and automatically defaults back to 1. Tryed deleting as well does not delete.Any help would be appriciated

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000000

If the value is 1, cannot change it to 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 03 Apr 08

sounds as if the virus is still active?

What virus and how did you get rid?
Did you switch off restore when deleting the virus? It may still be lurking in the restore files where the virus scanners can't get at it.

mfletch 18:41 03 Apr 08

Hi,

click here

Good luck,

mfletch

matri_chd 18:59 03 Apr 08

Hi,
I think the virus is MUHAHAHA Virus, I havent deleted the virus as to do that i need to get into my task manager and end svchost.exe one with user name as your login name of computer and end those processes.
So the first step is enable task manager and I cant do that even changed the properties os regedit save to 0 still no luck.

mfletch i followed the steps in the link but it registry comes back even after deleting. :-(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:02 03 Apr 08

try in safe mode

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 03 Apr 08

This is the (in)famous USB spreading virus. Not very harmful, lets you know that your computer is infected, the moment it gets in.

The key point in removing this virus is turning off the system restore feature on windows, otherwise no matter how many times you delete it, it will reappear. Just turn off system restore, boot in safe mode and delete the exe file (excluding the one in windows/system32, which is a windows system file).

You may also need to tweak the registry values (like view hidden files setting) which have been changed due to the infection.

And one more word, there is no need to avoid the usb drive usage on your machines, but just turn off the auto run features on the external drives, and it should take care of the autorun.ini in the thumb drive, which brings the virus to life.

mfletch 19:11 03 Apr 08

The key point in removing this virus is turning off the system restore feature on windows, otherwise no matter how many times you delete it, it will reappear.

Not true nothing can get out of the system restore unless you do a system restore,

Its best to leave the restore points as any restore point is better than none,

matri_chd 19:27 03 Apr 08

Ok
Once I turn off the system restore feature and start in safe mode which file should I delete and where would be it located???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…