task manager fades away

ayrmail 22:25 23 Oct 03

running xp home and recently task manager only appears on screen breifly before disapearing, not to bothered about using it that much but is it a sign of some other problem

Giggle n' Bits 22:33 23 Oct 03

if you right click on the My Computer icon and its within them menu's within XP. There is somewhere in a big long list of custom settings one of these relates to fade xxx but I didn't know you could fade just one window/dialog box away.

Tip's & Trick's (PC Adviser) will have the answer for this, I will have a look if I come across the tweaking section.

Jester2K II 22:34 23 Oct 03

Possible virus like Spybot click here.

Do you have up todate anti virus?

If not get AVG click here

Also scan with Stinger click here

VoG II 22:36 23 Oct 03

Have you tried a scan with an up-to-date anti-virus program? You can do an on-line scan click here or click here or click here

ayrmail 22:48 23 Oct 03

currently trying stinger

ayrmail 23:43 23 Oct 03

stinger did not find anything but as it says at sophos it is haveing an effect on msconfig and regedit

©®@$ђ 23:50 23 Oct 03

some virus's can cuase this problem. make sure you don't have any virus's by following these good peoples links above

other than that

Enable the Task Manager (Line 51)
click here

Troubleshooting the Task Manager
click here

Jester2K II 07:41 24 Oct 03

Can you open MSCONFIG or REGEDIT??

temp003 07:49 24 Oct 03

If you have same problem with msconfig and regedit, you definitely have a virus.

temp003 08:18 24 Oct 03

The best thing is to update all virus definitions and do a full scan of your computer and hope the scanner find the virus. If a virus scan does not find it, try the following.

Is Windows set to show file extensions? If not, in My Computer, click Tools, folder Options, View tab, and untick "Hide file extensions for known file types". Click OK.

Go to the C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder and find taskmgr.exe. Right click the file, Copy, and paste in the same folder. Rename the copy as taskmgr.com

Double click the new file taskmgr.com. See if Task Manager opens and stays open. If it does, then some virus is there (there are a number of viruses which do this, I remember there was one posted on this forum which strangely was not known to and so not detected by the major virus scanners).

In the same folder, find msconfig.exe, make a copy, rename to msconfig.com and double click the new file to open msconfig. In the Startup tab, look for anything unusual to you. The startup item may be called winsock2 driver, but it could be anything really. If you find it, note down the path to the virus file on your computer under the Command column, and note its location in the registry in the Location column (it may well be a Run Once entry - HKEY Local Machine\Software...RunOnce), expanding the Location column if necessary.

If you do find it, untick the Startup item. Click OK. Then go back to task manager, find the virus file which is running and terminate the process. Then delete the virus file. Restart. Then try opening msconfig, task manager and regedit in the normal way to see if they work.

temp003 08:21 24 Oct 03

Forgot to say, if you do need to remove the virus manually, when you look under the startup tab in msconfig and are not sure whether something is the virus entry, don't untick it and don't delete the file yet, but post back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…