//some 3rd party need geo

Task Bar problems in Win XP Pro

Coaster3 18:25 24 Feb 03

I had a serious hardware crash this morning which entailed fitting a new processor. After fitting it, Windows XP Pro insisted that I needed to input a new code in order to get started again. This was sorted out but I now find that, if I minimise a program, it doesn’t appear on the Task Bar but simply disappears. It is obviously running somewhere as I can’t restart it by clicking on the icon.

I have tried system restore but it keeps telling me that the system cannot be restored.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

AndySD 18:33 24 Feb 03

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

MAJ 18:35 24 Feb 03

Sounds like a virus to me. Have you done a virus scan with an up to date virus scanner yet, Coaster3?

MAJ 18:39 24 Feb 03

Just found this, Coaster3. click here

jazzypop 18:45 24 Feb 03

A simple workaround is to hold the Alt key down, and tap the Tab key - each time you do so, it will bring a running program 'to the front'. Release the Alt key when the program you want is selected.

The Task Bar in XP can be configured in many ways. Firstly, right-click the Task Bar and make sure that the option to lock the taskbar is not enabled. Once it is unlocked, see if there is a tick beside Toolbars > Quick Launch. If so, make sure that the Quick Launch toolbar has not been resized to take up the whole of the taskbar.

An easy way to check for this is to position the cursor over the top of the Quick Launch / task bar and drag up until the bar occupies two rows. Any other 'hidden' icons will now be visible.

This can be tried as well as the previous suggestions.

Coaster3 18:57 24 Feb 03

NAV always running - auto update.

jazzypop - Thanks for the alt-tab idea. it is a cure 'till I get the Task Bar sorted.

AndySD - just about to try your suggestion

Thanks everyone.

MAJ 19:11 24 Feb 03

Did you check out that link I posted, Coaster3?

Coaster3 19:22 24 Feb 03

No joy Andy. It ran for about 10 minutes doing something with the HDD but nothing's changed.

Coaster3 20:03 24 Feb 03

Looked at the link. There was nothing on Page 1 and I couldn't get any further. Kept getting a 'This page cannot be displayed' notice.

Coaster3 20:06 24 Feb 03

Incidentally, my Task Bar looks as if there's another one behind it. There is a blue area above the Start button. I wonder if the links are at the back somewhere where I can't see them.

Coaster3 20:28 24 Feb 03

I think I'll try reinstalling windows but it will have to wait 'till tomorrow. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Regards and thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…