Task Bar Address Not Working

Gorillaz 15:23 24 Mar 04

I am using Windows XP and when I type a URL into the address window on the task bar I get error message "the website not available". It doesn't what address I input it is always the same. If I use the explorer bar the same thing happens. To get to a site I have to use Google and type the url into the search window and open the site from the search results.Any ideas where the problem lies? By the way it is a new PC with just Windows, a HP driver and the Norton Internet Suite.

anon1 15:38 24 Mar 04

What kind of internet connection do you have? Do you have a firewall installed and running? Have you scanned with spybot or similar? What happens if you click the "home" icon? Did you mean internet explorer or windows explorer? how do you get to Google?

Gorillaz 15:58 24 Mar 04

using a standard dial up. I have Norton Firewall, haven't scanned with spybot, if I click home it takes me to Google, I open Internet Explorer which loads Google as my home page. Really strange, I have been struggling for 2 days with this. Cheers

Gorillaz 16:32 24 Mar 04

This is really strange, if I type click here in the address window of the the task bar I get the page cannot be displayed error message. When I then click on the home icon google loads immeadiately?

anon1 17:43 24 Mar 04

I think you need to look at the firewall and see if it is blocking or allowing internet explorer to access the internet. It is debatable whether or not you actually need a firewall with a dial up ( I say no it slows things down too much) Try disabling the firewall and see if things work properly then.

mackaycc 19:54 24 Mar 04

Have you tried doing a repair of Internet Explorer?

Gorillaz 07:51 25 Mar 04

Firewall was OK it was set up exaclty the same as my laptop. Ended up doing a format with the recovery CD and everything worked perfectly. PCs' are like women, you will never understand them!
Thanks to everyon e who tried to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…