Targus ACP60EU Port Replicator Problem

Covergirl 12:33 30 Oct 08

A colleague of mine has purchased one of these with a Dell Studio 1735 laptop - both purchased as a package at the same time.

It's basically a docking station with extra ports which is connected through a port replicator card. click here

During the installation of the port replicator card he gets a "Wait" dialogue at which point the installation hangs and fails.

He has used the latest software off the Targus website support area but the problem persists.

Dell blame Vista and want to charge him for assistance.

Both items less than 1 month old. Laptop taken back to factory settings but no joy. Laptop working fine and stable and on Vista HP.

Anyone any ideas, suggestions, workarounds, etc. Anything appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Covergirl 12:13 31 Oct 08

bump

I am Spartacus 12:41 31 Oct 08

You could try installing it on another Vista and/or system. If it fails on Vista then it is a Vista problem. If it fails on both it could be a faulty unit.

I am Spartacus 12:41 31 Oct 08

I meant to say 'Vista and/or XP system'

Covergirl 14:59 31 Oct 08

. . . due to the lack of postings on the Dell forum (well, there's one but it's inconclusive) I've suggested he contacts Dell Returns Department for a refund. He seems to be happy with that.

Thought about trying it on another system but there isn't one readily or easily available. Plus it would mean finding a system with the right size PC Card port and installing the software and drivers for the Targus on someone elses system which they might not be too happy about.

I've "closed the call" - if there are any developments over the weekend I'll let you know.

Also, if anyone else views this and has any ideas, it may take a couple of days to get a RMA so fire away - we might still have it to play with on Monday !! Thanks for now.

mps1 12:15 26 Nov 08

I just got delivery of the Targus ACP60EU and have exactly the same issue as posted. The express card in the PCMCIA card is not recognised and it hangs up during driver install.

I have a HP Compaq 6715b notebook.

Anyone know what the problem could be?
thanks

Covergirl 12:19 01 Dec 08

The problem was actually posted on our internal electronic notice board and I told him to post on this forum but ended up doing it myself. We've got a community of c.11,000 people and try to help each other out where possible.

No, we didn't get a satisfactory solution and I advised him to return it.

What is the point of (Dell) selling something that doesn't work due to OS incompatibilities ?

In your case, I would take it back.

Sorry I'm unable to provide a solution.

All the best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple