Taltalk Broadband slow to download Webpages

glendale1 10:52 04 Mar 07

I'm new to Broadband and decided on Talktalk. It started off OK but has now slowed down so that I can't get some Webpages to complete, such as my Internet Banking access, Paypal status etc. I have AVG, Adware and Spybot, which have cleared out a few bugs, but have found nothing dangerous, even when run in Safe Mode. Any other Talktalk sufferers?

Jackcoms 11:03 04 Mar 07

See what sort of download/upload speeds you're getting at click here

Try it at various times of the day to get an accurate overall picture

glendale1 11:35 04 Mar 07

Thanks for the link. Have run speed test, and it shows I'm getting equivalent of 1.5 to 2 Meg, while it should be 8 meg. Talktalk helpline claim they have no technical problems. Any other ideas anyone?

Gongoozler 11:43 04 Mar 07

TalkTalk broadband is UP TO 8 Meg, depending largely on the wire between you and your telephone exchange and on the number of people sharing your connection. A 1.5 to 2M download speed is unlikely to significantly slow the downloading of web pages. You would probably only notice the difference between 2 and 8M if you are downloading very large files.

Dipso 12:39 04 Mar 07

Try and find out what speed your modem/router is connecting at. If this is significantly higher than 2 Meg it may be a capacity issue with the ISP.

Jackcoms 12:52 04 Mar 07

"I'm getting equivalent of 1.5 to 2 Meg"

As Gongoozler says ADSL Max (8Mb) is always UP TO 8Mb whichever ISP you use and depends on factors such as your distance from the exchange, local contention ratios and the condition of your copper wire.

I upgraded to Tiscali ADSL Max about 4 days ago and, whilst I'm still in the 'stabilisation' period, I'm getting download speeds as low as 0.75Mb and as high as 4.5Mb.

glendale1 09:03 05 Mar 07

Mnany thanks for your comments and helopful suggestions. Various tests suggest my problem may not be the computer or line, but possible modem trouble. Search continuing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac