Talk Talk & Router compatibility

namtas 13:51 27 Nov 07

I am on Virgin Cable, with a dedicated line - since changing over from NTL I now appear to suffer more periods of inaccesabilty -

I am tempted to change to Talk Talk Option 3 package.
I use a BT line and Talk Talk for my telephone at present - I have a Linksys BEFW 1154 Router to a NTL BB Modem.

Can anyone advise the best way to go? any advice or comment on known compatibilty issues of the talk talk modem connected to a Linksys Router

Might it be best to scrap the Linksys router and go with the talk talk combined router/modem.

Any advice appreciated

mgmcc 16:45 27 Nov 07

If you change from Virgin's Cable service to ADSL via the phone line, then you *MUST* replace the Cable/DSL Router with a combined "Router & ADSL Modem".

namtas 21:33 27 Nov 07

By a sheer coincidence Talk Talk rang me tonight and tried to get me to change over - I asked the same questions to the sales girl - she went off to check and came back saying it was no problem and that my Linksys Router will work with their modem - so now I am even more confused.

martinangus 07:15 28 Nov 07

Check this out a little more ...I was advised by talk talk that my BT hub would be compatible only to discover after 3 days it wasn't and it costing me money to go get new stuff...basically the sales team tell you anything to get the sale so be careful...saying that as long as your current router is not dedicated to your virgin cable then changing the username and password is easy

mgmcc 08:57 28 Nov 07

<<<she went off to check and came back saying it was no problem and that my Linksys Router will work with their modem - so now I am even more confused.>>>

Did you actually tell her that it was a "Cable/DSL" Linksys router and *NOT* a combined "Router & ADSL Modem"?

I wouldn't have said that your current router was incompatible if I didn't know what I was talking about. ;)

namtas 10:55 28 Nov 07

mgmcc Yes I did - but I am wary as martinangus reflects the information may not be correct - it could be to get the sale. I said that I had Cable for my BB and a seperate BT line for Talk Talk telephone I said that I had a Linksys router connected to the NTL cable modem - The reply was that all I need was a Talk Talk Modem which would be fully compatible but it would cost me £20 - I do remain scepical and that is why your's and others help is valuable.

Kemistri 15:41 28 Nov 07

Some standalone routers can handle ADSL modems, and it should be easy enough to check; just examine whether your Linksys supports PPP over ATM (PPPoA) as well as the PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) that cable modems use. If the option to change the protocol exists, then it is very likely to support ADSL modems, since there would not be any other reason (to my knowledge) to offer PPPoA.

It is best to avoid asking questions like this to ISP staff (who will have limited knowledge of products which they do not supply) when the product manufacturer (or website) is more likely to have the definitive answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac