Talk Talk or my network?

Fullywired 12:20 12 Jul 06

hey guys!

i'm having major network issues at the moment and im pretty sure its Talk Talk but i want to be sure before i go and rant at them over their premium rate number.

i have a 3Com wireless router, 2 wireless adaptors (on PCMCIA on laptop and 1 on my PC upstairs) and 1 PC connected via RJ45 Cable.

my problem is getting internet access, my connection status varies between "Limited or No Connectivity", "unable to connect to wireless network" and "Connected" on PCs using XP Pro. On my PC which is running Wondows Vista i often get a "local only" status which allows me to connect to other PCs on the network but not to the internet and it also varies between the other Connection Status'.

Another problem i have is when i am connected, i often get speeds below dial up despite having a 1Mb/s connection which happens mostly during the day but now that i am off school, that is the time i use the internet most, not often for downloads but mostly for browsing and i still get these pathetic speeds.

Before i started using the wireless network, i had a standard modem supplied by Talk Talk and this was constantly disconnectinf and giving slow speeds, also we had to disconnect all phone sockets in the house (except the main one) before talk talk would even get a connection, however now i understand that this can be the fault of dodgy wiring.

Any help appreciated

Regards

Fullywired

spikeychris 12:41 12 Jul 06

First thing I would do is flush the DNS and try again.

Open a command prompt and type the below

ipconfig /flushdns

Then type ipconfig /release

Then ipconfig /renew

Fullywired 12:55 12 Jul 06

cheers! disconnected and reconnect the network after this and it connected straight away, still not at full download speed but it has increased!

lets hope it stays that way!

Regards

Fully!

Fullywired 15:39 12 Jul 06

sorry, this did not remain fixed for long, also i have been using the wired PC and it also loses internet connectivity from time to time.

Regards

Fullywired

ade.h 16:06 12 Jul 06

Time to try fixed IPs, methinks. How you do that will depend on your router, but on the client, you'll enter your network adapter's properties and then select the TCP/IP properties, where you can choose to assign fixed IPs. Obviously, the corresponding change will have to be made to the router. Study the PDF manual for details.

spikeychris 18:02 12 Jul 06

I agree with ade.h, use static’s rather that auto assign.

ade.h 18:17 12 Jul 06

It's good to see you around in Networking, spikeychris. We can always use more "staffers"!

spikeychris 19:38 12 Jul 06

Hello ade.h, do you play with networks as well?

ade.h 20:08 12 Jul 06

Yep, you can usually find me lurking around this section of the forum!

Fullywired 20:22 12 Jul 06

my IPs are fixed, 3 PCs using the network are set to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.4 makes it much easier to access either computer that way!

Regards Fully

ade.h 20:32 12 Jul 06

Sorted? Excellent.

Give your thread a tick, by the way; it helps others with similar issues.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…