TALK TALK BB PROBLEM WITH MY MODEM

boffo 21:38 09 Oct 06

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME.I HAVE JUST GONE 'LIVE' WITH TALK TALK BROADBAND.EVERYTHING WORKS FINE UNTIL I SWITCH MY COMPUTER OFF.wHEN I SWITCH IT BACK ON I HAVE NO CONNECTION AND THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET IT TO WORK IS TO RE-INSTALL THE MODEM.I HAVE TRIED THE TROUBLESHOOTING DISC TO NO AVAIL AND HAVE EVEN RANG TALK TALK TECHNICAL SUPPORT WHO ARE AS MUCH USE AS A CHOCOLATE FIREGUARD!!! HAS ANYBODY ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM BECAUSE I AM GETTING REALLY FRUSTRATED AND HAVE RAN OUT OF IDEAS?

handy4x 21:46 09 Oct 06

what modem are you useing is it usb or a router

boffo 21:51 09 Oct 06

I THINK ITS A ROUTER ITS CONNECTED VIA AN ETHERNET CABLE.NOT SURE THESE MODEMS ARE NEW TO ME

handy4x 21:58 09 Oct 06

your local area conection [ the two computers inthe task bar ] are you conected to that and do you have the light on the router to say your line is active

boffo 22:04 09 Oct 06

I HAVE AN ORANGE LIGHT ON THE ROUTER ABOVE THE LETTERS 'LAN' AND ADSL 'LINK'.THE TWO COMPUTERS IN THE TASK BAR ARE NOT SHOWING AT THE MOMENT. YOU WILL HAVE TO EXCUSE ME BUT THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME. P.S THE MODEM IS INSTALLED AND WORKING CORRECTLY AT THE MOMENT

Fred the flour grader 22:04 09 Oct 06

boffo, join the club pal. I asked the same question in here a couple of weeks ago and I was given a few suggestions but, it was not succesful.
I have tried getting it working for my mother in law for nearly 2 months now and it's still faulty. I too tried the tech support and you are right, they are bloody hopeless. I was on the phone for over half an hour doing what the disc told me to do whilst trying to explain that I had done all of that. The woman would not listen and when it did not work at the end she told me to ring 2nd line tech support before 8am the next morning.
They should rename it from talk talk to talk S**** because it is a waste of time.
I am going to suggest she gets it pulled out and the contract cancelled as she is paying for something that clearly does not do as they are advertising it. The modem she uses is a usb speedtouch 330 it's black with a cable to the phone line and a usb cable to connect to the computer. I will be interested to see if you can resolve this.
Regards,
Fred

boffo 22:11 09 Oct 06

hi Fred
thanks for your reply my modem is a smartAX MT882.Keep watchin mate cuz this is not gonna beat me i will get it workin one way or another

PSF 22:21 09 Oct 06

I will keep an eye on this I have been trying to get my dad's talk talk modem to work for over two months now. Their tech support is 'we will get someone to ring you back in 5-15 days' That is working days. It is a complete waste of time with them.

My Ntl modem died last Sunday I rang them up and had a choice Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning to have an engineer round to replace the modem. By 11:30 Tuesday the modem was replaced. Not we will ring you back in 5-15 days!!!

boffo 19:17 12 Oct 06

just had a computer engineer look at my set up and have paid £30 for the privilege of being told there is no facility on the modem to store my computers details! hence when i switch it off it looses its setting!!!I will be taking the matter up with talk talk as i have searched through the troubleshooter and nowhere does it state the modem must be left switched on at all times!

Fred the flour grader 20:09 12 Oct 06

boffo,
I did not know a modem stored details of a computer, I always thought it was the other way round IE the drivers for the modem are installed on to the pc's hard drive as such. The type of problem you are having is similar to my mother in law's but, it is a usb modem that we are having the trouble with. I now have to buy an adsl cable to try in the main phone socket to see if that rectifies the problem. I get the impression that talktalk are now just clutching at straws. It is coming upto three months now that she has paid for broadband, and been able to use it for fifteen minutes. Great value eh?
Fred

Kenny1870 16:18 24 Oct 06

The way to solve this problem is to save the settings on the modem. type 192.168.1.1 in the URL bar. The username and password are both 'admin' (no quotes). Now click on 'Save All'.

Problem solved!

Ken

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac