Taking a screen. Shot in XP

SparkyJack 11:25 03 Apr 15

Back in the day of XP,I seem to recall using the print screen button with Ctrl or salt enabled a captures an image of the whole screen or the image only.

VWas this so?

Now trying with W7 it seems not to work have

SparkyJack 11:29 03 Apr 15

The wretched ads are preventing me editing my typing.

But ,you guys get the drift Capturing a screen shot.

lotvic 11:35 03 Apr 15

In both XP and W7 pressing the PrintScreen takes a screenshot of the whole of the desktop.

Holding down Alt button whilst pressing PrintScreen (Alt+PrintScreen) takes a screenshot of the Active window and ignores the rest of desktop.

The screenshot is now on the Clipboard and you open a Paint or image program and paste the image in, now you can save it as a picture file.

csqwared 12:08 03 Apr 15

If you're using Win 7 have you not got "Snipping Tool". It allows you to select all the window, part of the window or even a freeform shape and then save as .jpg, .png or HTML.

lotvic 12:16 03 Apr 15

Good point csqwared. The snipping tool in W7 is easier and more flexible than the ordinary PrintScreen.

SparkyJack 12:44 03 Apr 15

Thank you both .

I overlooked rhe clipboard element open in an editor.

Will have a look at 'shipping, not aware of that one.

lotvic 12:58 03 Apr 15

Because I found it a pain having to type Snipping in the Search box each time to open the Snipping Tool, I have pinned it to my QuickStart Taskbar.

In the search box, type Snipping Tool, and then, in the list of results, rightclick Snipping Tool and choose 'Pin to Taskbar'

Here's some pointers to how to use it click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac