Taking Ownership

BBez 16:10 22 Jun 03

within windows 2000, logged in as Admin, is there any way to take onwnership of complete directories, and files within them, as somehow most of my backup partition's directories have had their permissions wiped (including system & admin rights) and i'm having to take ownership of the files one-by-one which is taking a long time as there is hundreds of folders in each parent folder. I know this defeats the purpose of the security but i need ownership back as painlessly as possible. any suggestions, thanks in advance...

keith-236785 16:53 22 Jun 03

i dont know if by deleting/removing other user accounts and just leaving the administrator, whether all files and documents would default to ownership of the administrator.

dont forget to back up first.....

not sure about this, maybe someone else has better advice.

Djohn 16:58 22 Jun 03

Not 100% sure on this, but in XP I think when you go to close other accounts it will warn you of info/files, and ask if you want to copy them over.

BBez 19:54 22 Jun 03

tnx to all for replies...

Beta, cheers m8, worked a treat...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…