Takes ages to open a site with NOF7

grumpy-git 15:37 05 Feb 05

Still persevering with NetObjects 7. So far I have made a site with 155 pages, and the time taken from loading NOF to actually having the site open 7 ready to work on is about 90 seconds. Exiting & saving the site takes about 2 minutes.

Presumably the time taken will increase as the site grows in size?

I have avoided using the NOF navigation bars as in the past I found they slowed down the time taken to load pages, also a minor update meant dozens of pages needed uploading. All my internal links are now via thumbnails or text. I take it that NOF creates and manages all the links between the pages as if I was using navigation bars, even though I don't use them. As I don't yet know everything about the software, is there anything within "help" I might have missed that would help to speed up the software?

Ta, g-g

Forum Editor 16:18 05 Feb 05

automatically on exit, and obviously has to load the entire site when you launch it - the bigger site, the longer that process becomes. A minor update to a single page doesn't entail uploading the entires site again - you can tell NOF to upload only the current page only, or select a range of pages, and in addition you can select the option to upload changed assets only.

You'll need to accept that there are overheads with software like this - NOF works well, but it works in its own specific way. Give yourself time to grow accustomed to the way things work - I'm sure that eventually you'll come to like NOF, and appreciate its underlying power.

Forum Editor 16:20 05 Feb 05

I'm a bit rushed this afternoon.

grumpy-git 19:06 05 Feb 05

I reckon I can split my site up into smaller chunks, as I generally only work on one section of it at a time. This would cut down the time taken in loading/saving etc.

For years now on my old site I have been using WS_FTP Pro for all my uploading, can you see me having any problems continuing with that software and just uploading the relevant files after a "local publish" to my hard drive? That way I feel I have better control over what is happening than relying on the NOF internal ftp program.

I did an upload the other day of the complete new site of 155 pages (19Mb) & the upload failed 2 times, maybe lost connection or something similar. The files are arranged by "site structure" and so it was quite easy to work out what had uploaded & what hadn't. I think in previous years using the built in software I had to remove everything and start the upload again - at that time I did not realise it was possible to alter the structure.

So, still persevering (Percy who?)

Taran 19:28 05 Feb 05

Splitting a huge site into smaller chunks is a method I would recommend anyway, since it is easy to get lost on who did what, why and when.

In fact, you will probably find that splitting the site will prevent most of the publishing errors you are currently experiencing.

In the event that you change some of the addresses or file names/extensions of some of the files within your web you might like to consider putting some custom error page trapping up there. This will present an error page written by you which can contain anything you like. I prefer to put an apology on the page about the missing file, together with links back into the main section of the site, from which your visitor can find their way around unaided.

If you want more information on how to do this then post to that effect.

To answer you query though, yes, WS_FTP will work fine after a local publish from NetObjects.

grumpy-git 21:19 05 Feb 05

I'm glad you agree with the smaller chunks idea!!

A year or two ago I learnt about customising the "error 404" page, so I am OK on that thanks.

Relieved to hear that WS_FTP and "local publishing" work well together.

Forum Editor 01:55 06 Feb 05

you'll recall that I recommended splitting your site some time ago, and you agreed that you could do that - I assumed that you had acted upon that.

If you're going to start publishing files directly to the server via WS_FTP be very careful. It works of course, but it's not difficult to lose track of the situation when you have thousands of files on the server, and you'll need to maintain a careful log, or you'll run the risk of overwriting server file copies with earlier versions from your hard drive. WS_FTP will maintain a transfer log for you of course, and that will come in handy.

grumpy-git 09:26 06 Feb 05

the only drawback is having more external links between the newly created "chunks" of web site, but I am sure I can handle that (he says confidently, but knowing that he'll tie himself in knots)

Thanks all,

Forum Editor 11:46 06 Feb 05

and we'll help you to untie them.

I'm sure you'll be fine - just take things steadily, and spend time getting to know NOF better. It's very easy to become frustrated with software when you're new to it (as I know only too well), but things will eventually fall into place.

grumpy-git 19:28 06 Feb 05

now this is interesting, reading the "help" pages:-

<<When NetObjects Fusion imports a site, it starts with the page you specify and stops importing when it hits the page number limit, the site level limit, or the end of the site. If you don’t define import limits, NetObjects Fusion imports to the end of the site—no matter how long that takes or how much it requires in system resources. NetObjects recommends limits of 200 pages and 20 levels.>>

200 pages is not much at all, no wonder it was struggling when I imported over 6,000 pages.

I reckon one of my smaller "sites" will be well over 200 pages and a bigger one a thousand or more pages. That should prove interesting....

Taran 19:54 06 Feb 05

To be fair, 200 pages and 20 levels deep is huge by domestic site standards.

Something of that size is what you'd expect of a reasonably large business site, and there are a great deal of cons against going into 20 levels deep. This is possibly not the best place to discuss it, but multiple levels deep into a site can cause havoc with consistent navigation and general management, not to mention search indexing and... well, you get the picture.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…