Takes Ages To Get Online

wychwood77 12:08 28 May 08

Hi.

Can someone please advise!

My daughter as a Acer Aspire 5310 and it takes a
good 5 minutes from start to desktop showing.

Also when trying to connect to the internet it takes on average 3-4 minutes to get online.

We donot have the above problems with the home PC.

And when she tries to open a programme or a file
on the desktop this takes on average 3 minutes to open.

I have done a spyware and virus scan and even run
the UltimateDefrag software and still no change.

And finaly the Norton 3 month trial has run out
and i want to eliminate the software, has it keeps
poping up. i have tried the add or remove programs
way and it's still on the laptop.

If anyone can help with all the above issues i'd
be very grateful for your help.

Thanks.

wychwood77 12:18 28 May 08

Sorry! Acer Aspire 5310 Laptop

Clapton is God 12:39 28 May 08

As far as the slow response is concerned - when did you last do some basic housekeeping on the laptop?

To remove Norton you need to use their removal tool click here

wis 15:54 28 May 08

i would have a look at start up programs,
start, run, msconfig,start up

Pine Man 16:10 28 May 08

What sort of o/s and how much RAM?

birdface 17:33 28 May 08

You will probably find with Norton removed the computer will run a lot faster.It is probably running a scan at start up which is causing the problem.Use the removal tool to get rid of it.If she has got C cleaner I would run that.Try network connections.Right click local area connection and press repair .See if any problems. Replacement anti-Virus.click here or AVG or Avast all free.

wis 19:53 28 May 08

as i said prev check start up

ambra4 00:05 31 May 08

“Trying to connect to the Internet it takes on average 3-4 minutes to get online”

If running Vista Disable IPv6

Windows Vista contains both the familiar IPv4 stack and the new IPv6 stack.

IPv6, when it's rolled out across the Internet over the next few years, will bring an end to

the problem of running out of IP addresses and improve other aspects of TCP/IP

operation.

However you do not need IPv6 at present time disable IPv6 in Vista will Boost your

connection

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

Forget Microsoft Add/Remove program as it leave files in the registry and on the hard

drive which will causes problem uninstalling and reinstalling program

Use this program to remove Norton and all software from the computer

Make sure you uninstall all of the Norton program listed

Revo Uninstaller

click here

If the windows request message to reboot appear DO NOT click the NO button Revo will

now search the regesistry and hard drive for any files that is not required, just click the

Select All button and the Delete button once the “Finish” button appear you can than

reboot the computer

ambra4 14:35 31 May 08

You should also download and run these programs to clean up your computer, and help

speed up the start up time

Advanced Windows Care Personal Edition

click here

IObit SmartDefrag

click here

ronalddonald 12:23 18 Jun 08

complete reinstall o the operating system. Once done that go to programs removel to emove noton look also for sytemtec remove this one as well. reinstal the drivers for the internet. The problem with acer is that it comes with some much stuff that slows down the systme so llok around for stuf you dont need and take it out. Reinstal the softwaere for the internet and c if it workks faster. Failing that get 3 mobile pay as you go usb and try that.

TonyM 13:22 18 Jun 08

Check what mode your hard disk is running in ...should be DMA, but sometimes if it detects a problem Windows puts it into PIO mode which can cause the slow running you describe.

Very comprehensive help on the subject ..here:
click here

Solution is basically to unistall the hard drive controller in Device Manager, reboot, and let the machine detect it again. Recently fixed a painfully slow laptop (which was also an Acer Aspire) using this method and it now flies like new !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…