Take regular breaks when using your computer!

soy 13:48 08 Jun 03

Hi,

Warning to those that spend long hours at the computer!

I was using the computer for over 2 hours contiuosly yesterday doing a mixture of web surfing and playing online games when a pain struck my side. It was one of the worst pains I've felt and it took me by surprise! A sharp stabbing feeling when I stood up or lean't to the side.

I had got a hernia! owwwwww!

I'm still surffering today, I only managed to sleep through the night be sleeping on my side.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that the 'Take 15mins interval breaks' rule shouldn't be taken too lightly! I for one will be taking this rule seriously from now on.

Hope this pain heals soon, lol.

Soy.

soy 13:53 08 Jun 03

ps, make sure you are comfortable when at your computer.

My monitor isn't particulary positioned in the optimum anle, its on my right( Due to such a big monitor and small desktop). So sitting straight while twisting right and sitting in that position a long time mustn't have been too good for me.

-pops- 13:57 08 Jun 03

Very sound advice. For more information click here (hope that works)

Brian

Willow12 14:05 08 Jun 03

You have clearly strained a muscle from the twisting side of things. I did exactly the same to my left side at work from having to twist that way to use my PC. Hopefully be a lot better by midweek as long you have managed to position yourself or the PC better to be more face-on.

Those breaks are still important though.

Belatucadrus 14:29 08 Jun 03

Nice new word soy "surffering" I'm assuming it means Still hooked on the Internet despite the pain.
click here for some useful hints. About a year ago I spent big wads at the Chiropractor, so while I'm laughing it's sympathetically.

pj123 15:33 08 Jun 03

Yes, I agree. I am a workstation assessor for a county council. part of the job is to make sure that all people working at computers take a 10 minute break every hour. That doesn't mean sitting doing nothing though. just do something else for a bit. or go for a coffe break. or go to the copier and do the copies you have been meaning to do for days, or even a bit of filing.

hoverman 16:00 08 Jun 03

Quite agree. I have just had an operation for a hernia - came out of hospital on Friday. Unlike you, I had no pain at all, just a swelling on my left groin which appeared suddenly without warning. I must admit that the time spent at a computer might cause such a thing to happen - not that it did in my case. Thankfully I have private medical insurance - just 12 days from consulting my GP to having the op.

hoverman 16:05 08 Jun 03

Quite agree. I have just had an operation for a hernia - came out of hospital on Friday. Unlike you, I had no pain at all, just a swelling on my left groin which appeared suddenly without warning. I must admit that it never occurred to me that the time spent at a computer might cause such a thing to happen - not that it did in my case. Thankfully I have private medical insurance - just 12 days from consulting my GP to having the op.

hoverman 16:06 08 Jun 03

Sorry, clicked on the 'Post response' button before I checked what I had written.

soy 16:59 08 Jun 03

Hi,

Will tick this thread as resolved!

I hope this thread has helped to make people more aware of the possible health problems improper usage of computers can cause.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…