//some 3rd party need geo

tagging music tracks with win.media player v9.

2voddysandapint 22:20 05 Feb 04

i have purchased a new computer and wish to play all my music tracks stored on an external hard drive on the new machine using windows media player v9 How do i tranfer all the track information to the new machine as the external hard drive ony has track numbers and not the full track information stored on the old computers version of media player i dont want to re imput over 8000 track titles is there a file i can transpose to the new computer from the old one

temp003 23:25 05 Feb 04

Do you mean what you see in Media Library in WMP9?

There is a file called CurrentDatabase_59R.wmdb which stores all that information.

You need to show Hidden Files on the old computer. For Windows ME, 2k or XP, in My Computer, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab, and tick Show hidden files and folders. Click OK.

Search for that file (or files with .wmdb extension) on your old computer, or if you use Windows XP, it might be in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUserName]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player

Copy the file, and put it in the same corresponding folder on the new computer, replacing, if any, the existing currentdatabase_59R.wmdb file. Note that if you have entered any information in WMP9 on the new computer, you will lose that information.

Note also that the file includes the location of the music tracks (including the drive letter), which can't be edited. Not sure what it will do with external drives. So it might help if you can change, if necessary, the drive letter for the external drive on the new computer to the same letter as is used on the old computer, so that when you try to play a track from the external drive, there won't be any problem finding the file in the right drive.

temp003 23:28 05 Feb 04

I should have said different Windows versions store the file in different locations. On the old computer, just search for the file. On the new computer, if it is XP, the path given above should be correct.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…