Tables in web pages.

dave_the_red 00:42 22 Nov 04

I have just begun on my quest to learn HTML. I have started my webpage and have learned the very basiceg how to set background colours, insert images and basic text formatting. Know I need to learn how to create tables. I have found a couple of tutorials but they just dont seem to be helping me do what I want.

Basically I dont want anything spectacular, just a simple table with a column on the left hand side for links etc and a bigger column to the right of that for the main text. Does anybody know of any beginners tutorials on how to do this or got any tips themselves?

Thanks

Dave

dave_the_red 00:43 22 Nov 04

Now even LOL. I cant even type tonight, not much chance of me being able to do tables. :-(

Forum Editor 01:35 22 Nov 04

Here's something to get you going
First you need to tell the browser there's a table there, so insert this tag: <table> If you want a border then insert the border tag as well: <table border> Next, you'll need to let the browser know each time you want a new row to begin, so insert: <tr>
End your row with the </tr> tag. Not all browsers need that, but some do, so include it. It's also not strictly necessary to end the table with: </table> but some browsers will display a blank page if they don't see an end tag.

Here then, is the full code for a two row table, with font size inserted.

<table border>

<tr>

<td style="font-size : 10pt;">Row 1 Column1</td>

<td style="font-size : 10pt;">Row 1 Column2</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td style="font-size : 10pt;">Row 2 Column1</td>

<td style="font-size : 10pt;">Row 2 Column 2</td>

</tr>

</table>

Does that help? It isn't always easy to get the forum pages to display html code in the right way, but you get the idea I'm sure.

dave_the_red 09:11 22 Nov 04

Yes that helps a lot, just what I was looking for.Thanks a lot for that. I have just started to use a html editor called 1st page 2000. I think it is absolutely fantastic, maybe it is because I have never used one before but it helps so much. I like the fact that you still get to learn the HTML code as you go. It is so much quicker than just using notepad, which is what I was doing at the beginning.

I am sure I will be on here again looking for help before long, but once my web page is getting anywhere near finished I will post the link on here so I can get some comments on layout, content etc.

Thanks again

Dave

neil_raj 17:57 22 Nov 04

You must go to click here and bookmark this site. A great resource for learning HTML..... The best on the Net

dave_the_red 09:38 23 Nov 04

Thanks for that Neil, you are right that is a great link. I am sure I will be using that regularly.

Dave

murgle 19:55 03 Dec 04

Hi,

I am curious why people build websites using HTML when software such as Frontpage lets you do everything you need without having to learn HTML coding.

Thanks

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:55 03 Dec 04

Then you find that a bit of HT<L knowledge goes a long way.

You also dont have to stick rigidly to the output of your WYSIWYG editor, you can make slight changes to suit yourself.

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:57 03 Dec 04

if you can type HTML properly, instead of HT<L !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…