sytem files corrupt on start up

darthballs 20:09 29 Aug 10

I just switched my pc for it come up with,

system files corrupt or may be missing,
may be possible to repair using set up disc, insert disc and press r at start up screnn to repair.

(not quite exact but thats the jist of it!)

I've tried the set up disc that came with the p.c, and my windows xp disc, but it won't seem to read the disc. I've tried both disc drawers, change the start up for both of them to start as the first thing to boot up, and nothing.

I'm hoping that there is something i can do and that i haven't lost use of my harddrive.

thanks for any help!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:46 29 Aug 10

In BIOS set CD as only boot device disable HDD (for now) do not forget to "save and exit" (F10)

Missing Or Corrupt Windows\System32\Conf\System File
click here

To fix the "windows\system32\config\system file is mising or corrupt" where
Xp wont boot:

Go to Recovery Console and type:

cd system32\config
ren system system.old
ren system.alt systemalt.old
copy c:\windows\repair\system
copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system
exit

Go back to BIOS and reset HDD as first boot device

See if it will boot into windows

darthballs 07:52 30 Aug 10

i set it as you said, but it says disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

I tried both disc trays and still nothing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:10 30 Aug 10

OK so it doesn't seem to want to boot from the XP CD.

You need to find out if this is a CD or BIOS problem.

Download and burn a Ultimate Boot CD click here it should boot from that plus it will give you repair tools and a way to recover your data if the repair install doesn't work.

lotvic 09:53 30 Aug 10

"disk boot failure, insert system disk"

sounds like HDD failure or loose connection, is the HDD being detected in BIOS?

Have you tried reseating the cables (unplug and replug back in) to the HDD, they sometimes work loose.

darthballs 10:07 30 Aug 10

thanks lotvic, but yeah its detected, and i tried unplugging and putting back in, but no joy, so i'll try fruitbats suggestion next, thanks so far guys!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:02 30 Aug 10

"disk boot failure, insert system disk"
only gets this since he disabled the HDD as boot device in BIOS, in an attempt to get CD to boot first.

Therefore nothing wrong with HDD cables as BIOS will attempt to boot from HDD just corrupt windows files on HDD hence original message system file corrupt or missing.

darthballs 11:11 30 Aug 10

i ve got the drive to read the disc(i had selected drive d, then tried cdrom, now its working!)

with the windows xp home disc, ive got through to select recovery, but its asking for the administrator password, i thought this would be my login password, but its not accepting it, any ideas for that?

thanks

lotvic 11:13 30 Aug 10

leave it blank

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…