systime.exe malicious?

orlandogreenback 01:34 29 Sep 04

Surfing around last night and pc-cillin alerts me to a virus. Long story short, at exactly the same moment a file called systime.exe appeared in windows/system folder. It won't let me delete it because it claims windows is using it, but I'm suspicious as it was created at that exact moment. In addition my browser's home page is set to
click here (the page is full of popups and malicious downloads)
and I can't change it back. I've run pc-cillin, spybot, ad-aware and another free spware program but none of them have worked. Shouldn't pc-cillin's firewall, webtrap etc have stopped this? Suggestions gratefully received.

orlandogreenback 01:45 29 Sep 04

have just noticed something called Obrm running in windows task manager. Have never seen this before tonight, suspect it to be linked to the other stuff.

Dan the Confused 01:54 29 Sep 04

Try CWShredder click here

Run it in safe mode along with Adaware SE (with latest update).

(Access safe mode by tapping F8 key before Windows loads and select from menu that appears.)

orlandogreenback 02:35 29 Sep 04

You're the man. Got rid of the bogus homepage and systime.exe Cheers mate!
All that remains is the strange Obrm, nestling about two thirds of the way down the list. Could this have something to do with the numerous ad removers installed tonight, has it always been there (making me completely mad) or is it truly something dodgy? It didn't run in safe mode but back to normal and there it is.
Anyone?

orlandogreenback 09:34 29 Sep 04

Using startup manager. Created at the exact moment as systime.exe.
It was a hidden file in the application data folder, which I presume is why none of the spyware progs caught it.
I'm assuming because of its creation date/the fact I'd never seen it before that it was malicious; either way, have deleted it and can find nothing going wrong. Yet.
;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…