systems restore (windows me)

mental 21:26 19 Apr 03

New hard drive.
Systems restore will only let me restore to a point I made myself 7 days ago. If I try to restore earlier, I get the message "cannot restore to this point, nothing has been added". I get this message even if I try to restore to the day after I recieved my computer back on the 22-03-03. I am running 850 Duron with Windows ME

crx16 21:47 19 Apr 03

"new hard drive" how does this fit into the story?

disabling system restore at any time,will cause you to lose all previous restore dates.(incase you remember doing this)

mental 22:40 19 Apr 03

New hard drive doesn't mean anything, just that since the new hard drive has been fitted, systems restore doesn't sem to work properly. I dont think the hard drive is the problem. I want to know why restore says that nothing has been added from day 2 of the new hard drive and why I can only access the restore point I created myself 3 weeks later.

crx16 23:30 19 Apr 03

check system restore is enabled.control panel\system\perfomance\file system\troubleshooting,you'll see there is a box to 'disable system restore'you dont want a tick in it.

is your system upto date,there is a windows update for system restore.

would still like to know about this new drive,whether it is an addition or a replacement?

Peter E 23:48 19 Apr 03

Here's a link to a previous ME system restore problem. click here Follow the links in the reponses. Hope it helps.

The Teacher 00:02 20 Apr 03

Do you have Norton System Works installed? I have and my system restore hasn't worked since. However I did not know that I could enable/disable as mentioned above so I will give this a try.

The Teacher

Giggle n' Bits 00:25 20 Apr 03

the Windows Millennium System Restore. But with changing the HDD only from your 7 days ago will restore anything before is gone for good, it was on your old HDD.

The Teacher 23:35 21 Apr 03

Ta Aqua. I thought I had all the patches and updates, supposed to be automatic, so I will have a look at this one. I checked my System Restore as mentioned above and it is enabled.

The Teacher

mental 19:44 22 Apr 03

Thanx for your help, I dont think I explained very well. I had a replacement HDD fitted under warranty and got my PC back 21/03/03. Started reloading it on 22/03/03. I cannot access any restore points from that date until I use one I set up myself 3 weeks later. If I try to access previous to my own restore point, I get the message "cannot restore nothing has been added".
Ideally I would like to restore to 22/03/03 as I put things on I don't really need, restore seemed the easiest way to do this. To sum up, the only restore point I can use is my own when the HD had been in use 3 weeks. Have checked enable/disable as suggested, thats OK.
Sorry to be a pain, only beginner.

crx16 20:48 22 Apr 03

hi mental,that info is what i was trying to get at the start."new drive" means nothing without an explanation..

there really isnt much to system restore,its either enabled or its not,and you can check windows is allowing enough space for it to work.

the only other thing is the windows update,that i mentioned on saturday(and repeated by AquaVibe)have you checked thats installed.?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…