System.ini file not found on start up

fish44 09:17 24 May 04

Tried to start Windows ME and present with black screen and above message. After many attempts finaly started from emergency boot disk.

System was slow and did not close down as usual. I suspect will have similar problems on next start up. If I can reboot using emergency boot disk is there a way of adding this file to the correct part of windows to rectify or do I need to reinstall Windows?

After I did start the PC (Gateway 866Mhz with 378Mb RAM) System Monitor showed processor operating at 100% even though no programs running!

spikeychris 10:49 24 May 04

Boot to DOS using a floppy and then from the DOS prompt run
SCANREG /RESTORE
and choose the most recent of the dates offered. This will then replace the
three registry files plus win.ini and system.ini with backed up copies made
when you first booted on the date selected.

spikeychris 10:53 24 May 04

Just incase you dont know. You can drag a bootdisk from the net at click here or Click on Start, Settings, Control panel, in control panel select "Add/Remove
programs" then select the Boot Disk tab. Shove a floppy disk in the drive and "Create Disk".

Boot from it and follow the above.

Chronos 10:57 24 May 04

I have added that site to the favorites, nice one.....

spikeychris 11:05 24 May 04

Just to point out, I stated, "Choose the most recent of the dates offered". Obviously, select a date when all was well, if you where having problems yesterday its pointless selecting that date as it will just replace a bad reg with another.

fish44 14:28 24 May 04

Thanks for info. I did manage to reboot and to run the scanreg /restore but PC is still not working properly.

spikeychris 15:57 24 May 04

"but PC is still not working properly", elaborate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…