System.ini deleted

RamUK 19:05 06 Feb 03

A friend (no honestly, it was a friend) accidently deleted system.ini and now gets the message on boot up that there is not enough memory space and windows should be reinstalled.

I know this is a bit vague, but she can't remember the exact error message or even how the file was deleted and she has rung me from work thinking I might know. So common, somebody make me look like I know a thing or two :-)

Does this necessitate a reinstalation from scratch of windows?

Diemmess 19:11 06 Feb 03

You don't say which operating system

RamUK 19:18 06 Feb 03

All I know is that it is either Windows ME or XP.

I told you it was vague.

VoG™ 19:20 06 Feb 03

Try System Restore

Diemmess 19:31 06 Feb 03

Sorry I posted accidentally
In W98 and for all I know others there is System.dat in C:\windows

From half remembered trouble in my days with W95 It was possible to rename (in your case copy) system.dat as...system.ini

Check first in DOS, that system.ini is NOT present in c:\windows If it is,.... then your answer lies somewhere else.

But if it is missing ... then get into the windows directory and type

copy system.dat system.ini (with spaces where I have typed them), and Enter.

Fingers crossed and reboot!

I am still sticking my neck out (or yours) but if this doesn't work you may have to consider a re-installation unless of course there is a Ghost image of drive C somehwere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…