%SystemDrive%

heidelberg 14:57 13 Aug 07

A folder witrh the name %SystemDrive% has recently appeared on my desktop - I may have inadvertently dragged it there. It contains another folder called Documents and settings and then several others each inside the one before. There are lots of folders, but no files as such.

Any idea where it came from, and should I move it back, or just delete it?

Dave

Diemmess 16:05 13 Aug 07

If it is a shortcut then obviously you can delete it.

The presence of so many folders and no files suggests something like the path to desktop.
Have you unchecked the box which hides your system files?
If you have, then how about renaming this folder and see what (if anything) happens?

If the system still runs properly then in a day or so you should be able to delete this folder without harm.

mammak 19:33 13 Aug 07

How very strange I have just found the same on my desktop!

the folder contains My Documents > Kate > application data > Microsoft > system certificates > My which contains 3 folders certificates, CRLS, CTLs all empty?.

SANTOS7 19:40 13 Aug 07

My guess is somewhere in a script, there was a reference to '%SystemDrive%', but it wasn't parsed properly, so instead of creating a folder in your System Drive, it created an oddly-named folder on your Desktop.
%SystemDrive% is just a link to your C: drive. if u type it in run or in your address bar it will always bring u to your C: drive. if its a folder and not a shortcut with just the name "%SystemDrive%" most likely it should be empty or give u an error if u try and open it.

heidelberg 07:43 14 Aug 07

Thanks for all your thoughts.

It isn't a shortcut and I have unchecked the box which hides the system files. The folder contains exactly the same folders as yours mammak, though obviously with a different name inside My Documents.

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac