\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

cthooli 10:14 05 Jan 04

Xp keeps asking for this file on startup except i cant even use safe mode to get in and try and sort it out! any ideas?

C

Jester2K 10:16 05 Jan 04
  cthooli 10:34 05 Jan 04

fairly long winded there! i've managed to create a boot disk and got myself to the A:\ prompt but not much furthur! i thought maybe from here i could copy the file using a floopy. but a) its too big and b) i cant get acces to the C drive!

temp003 10:35 05 Jan 04

There are a number of possible solutions, but the best bet is to do a repair installation of XP if you have the XP installation CD.

Boot up computer from CD, press Enter to go into XP Setup, choose to install a fresh copy. Then you will finally get a choice to repair the existing installation. Choose that option. After a couple of restarts, when XP is fully installed again, you should be able to boot into XP. After that, you will have to reapply all Windows Updates. This method will keep your existing programs and data.

Otherwise, if you do not want to do a full repair installation all over again, you can boot from the XP CD and press R to go into Recovery Console. Press 1 and press Enter. Enter Administrator password, and at the C:\WINDOWS> prompt, try a couple of commands, such as:

chkdsk /r

and press enter and wait patiently for it to finish, then try:

bootcfg /rebuild

and press Enter. For the bootcfg command, when asked whether to add a Windows installation to the boot list, say yes. When asked for Load Identifier, type and enter "Windows XP Home" without the quotation marks. When asked for Load Option, type and enter "/fastdetect" without the quotation marks.

After finishing what you have to do in Recovery Console, type exit and press Enter to restart computer (removing CD) to see if the problem is cured. If not, reboot computer with CD and do a repair installation as first suggested.

temp003 10:43 05 Jan 04

Yeah, sorry, the long-winded part in the other thread was me (as usual). In any event, it didn't solve the problem in that case.

The problem is seldom caused by the relevant file really missing. It's usually there but somehow the boot process cannot find it.

As I said, the best bet is to do a repair installation.

If you want to copy the file from the CD back to the hard disk, you will have to do it in Recovery Console, using the "expand" command, as the file is too big to put on a floppy. If you want to try it anyway, the command to type in Recovery Console is:

expand x:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

and press Enter (where x is the letter of your CD ROM drive).

cthooli 10:52 05 Jan 04

the only trouble is its a Dell supplied CD. Not a proper one! As it clearly says, "only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell Computer. This CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers!
Up the creek again!!....

temp003 11:00 05 Jan 04

Dell's practice varies with the Windows CD they supply you. Sometimes it's a Disk Image CD, restoring everything to the factory settings (so losing your existing data), but sometimes it is a true installation CD (even though it may be called a recovery cd). Check again to see what it is (consult manual or website, type in the model number on Dell website and find documentation). If the former, then you can't use it without losing data.

But from what it says, it may actually be a true installation CD. Check.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…