system32/drivers ntfs system is corrupted

pookie 21:22 15 Feb 04

hi

father in law reformatted xp home edition several weeks ago - he has tornadon gf2mx graphic card. he hasn't installed any detonaotr drivers since reformat. he says that every now and then on start up he gets a message like windows shut down with critical error - he ignored these messages. he has called me to say that when he powers up it lists drivers/etc but doesn't get as far as xp screen - it brings up the message in my subject line. he also says he can't boot upo in safe mode - but i'm noit sure about that. he also can't perform a 'repair' from xp disc.

any ideas what the problem is? anything i can download on his behalf before i go down tomorrow to try and help him?

cheers as always

P

VoG II 21:43 15 Feb 04

Boot from the Windows XP CD.

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

pookie 21:50 15 Feb 04

hi VoG

many thanks - he says that the keyboard and mouse aren't working so he gets as far as R for repair but he can't return/highlight R/click on R.

i haven't come across not being able to boot into safe mode

P

VoG II 21:57 15 Feb 04

Tapping F8 just before the Windows screen loads should get into the Boot Menu. F5 should go straight into Safe Mode.

I wish you luck!

Steven135 22:02 15 Feb 04

Just a thought is he using a wireless keyboard

pookie 22:25 15 Feb 04

many thanks for replies and no - not wireless - to be honest i don't think he's doing what i told him to get into safe mode - at least from there it will have enough drivers to allow mouse/keyboard to do repair

thanks again

P

VoG II 22:28 15 Feb 04

Or USB mouse and keyboard - they won't work until Windows loads. Take a couple of USB to PS2 adapter plugs.

VoG II 22:31 15 Feb 04

click here is a really useful guide - may be worth printing off.

pookie 09:15 16 Feb 04

many thanks - i'm going down tonight

cheers

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…