System32 .dll errors

Nuss 13:54 18 Mar 06

Dear Sir,

After installing Windows XP on a new hard drive I began to have problems trying to download programs from the DVD drive. No program would start on loading the disc and I would always have to go to start and run to open the program. Error messages appeared such as ‘installation package could not be opened Error 1620’and various .dll file related messages. I was advised to copy programs to a folder in ‘my documents’ and to open them from there. No problems copying them but the same problems occurred when I tried to open and run them.
After posting my problem on various message boards I received advice from one that all the .dll files in the System 32 folder should be the same as all the .dll files in the .dll cache folder which is located within the System 32 folder and to copy said files to the .dll cache folder.
This I did but with disastrous consequences! The next time I switched the computer on I got the message : Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: Windwsroot>\System32\hal.dll please install a copy of the above file. I changed the bios to load from the cd rom drive and attempted to load the Windows XP cd only to get the message ‘STOP: C000021 Unknown Hard Error\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Robert Page

woodchip 14:00 18 Mar 06

Put your WinXP CD in Computer, Go to Run and type

SFC /SCANNOW run the program

Totally-braindead 14:02 18 Mar 06

Start from the CD and repair windows. click here When you installed windows the last time you did then install the motherboard drivers before you did anything else didn't you?

Mytob 17:38 18 Mar 06

if the restore fails you may have to re install. to get your work back try to use a dos boot disk if you familer with command lines. if you are not and have acces to another pc with a burner download slax click here and burn to cd and boot of that and use the live cd to copy you work to a fat32 partition on a pendrive or external hdd. please not if you cant copy to a ntfs partition through linux as M$ lock the write permitions to the drive. This also applys to dos. If you do come to format it id recomed and dont need to store files of over 4gb each such as dvd isos the use fat32 instead of ntfs. ntfs has a lot of complimenty read write prodedures and just slows everything down and also makes it hard to recover work off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant