System won't boot

jelboy 17:50 06 Dec 08

The mains power on my PC was accidentally turned off while the system was booting up. I now get the following message:
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I am advised to put in my system CD ROM and press r to repair. When I insert the CD ROM, the drive is not recognised! I originaklly had Windows 98 SE and upgraded to Windows XP. I have inserted the startup floppy, but it does not recognise the CD drive, so I can't get to the repair tool!

Any suggestions?

Technotiger 17:54 06 Dec 08

Have you tried starting in Safe mode to try the repair, after checking in the BIOS, also in Safe mode, that first boot option is CD ROM.

VoG II 17:55 06 Dec 08

Set your system to boot from the CD drive click here

Then click here

jelboy 18:48 06 Dec 08

I have tried to do that, but the system won't boot from CD. The drive light flashes, but nothing happens!

VoG II 18:49 06 Dec 08

You need to watch the screen carefully for a message 'Press any key to boot from CD'.

jelboy 19:00 06 Dec 08

I've tried five times now, and no message comes up. It seems that my PC is not recognising my CD Rom drive. Should I put in the windows 98 floppy disk first?

jelboy 19:04 06 Dec 08

I've just tried using the Windows 98 floppy disk, and get the message 'Device Driver not found: 'MSCD001'. No valid CDROM device drivers selected.
Have I got to add a driver to the bootup disk?

VoG II 19:04 06 Dec 08

Maybe the BIOS doesn't support booting from the CD. Try click here and set to boot from the floppy drive.

sunnystaines 19:18 06 Dec 08

what make pc is it? some have restricted bios options or none at all.

jelboy 19:32 06 Dec 08

No brand. It's one I built from scratch about 3 years ago. Just can't seem to get it to see my CDROM drives. I'm trying the previous response and making XP startup disks. Fingers crossed!

Terry Brown 20:17 06 Dec 08

If you have a floppy drive (and a disk), copy these files to a clean formatted floppy disk

Boot.ini
ntdetect.com
mtldr.com

You will need to show all system and hidden files to find them.

Set the machine to boot from A drive, this will get your system started and enable you to use the CD to repair your system.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…