System wont boot

johnpr 22:58 01 Oct 05

I have just built a pc using a motherboard/cpu (I have upgraded the mobo/cpu on my main pc)

When I switch on the pc the cpu fan spins but the hdd doesnt, the only way I can the hdd to spin is to remove the ide cable and refit it.

However I still cant get the pc to boot

Any help would be appreciated

AMD 1800XP
786 SD ram
pc chips L910M mobo

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:20 01 Oct 05

1. check jumper on HDD is set to master

2. check ide cable correct way round and fully inserted at motherboard and drive.

3. check BIOS is set to Auto detect / will the bios on this old board see HDD above 32G?

johnpr 23:33 01 Oct 05

the jumper is set to master, have checked the cables
fit ok.

When the mobo was in the other machine it ran a 120
gb hdd,

The 40gb is brand new and unformatted

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:56 02 Oct 05

IS the HDD recpgnoised in BIOS?
Make of HDD?

PhiltheFragger 13:09 02 Oct 05

Check the Power Supply Unit, Swap in a different one and see if there is any difference

johnpr 13:49 02 Oct 05

The hard drive is a maxtor ata 40gig

If I start the pc with no ide cables attatched the hdd spins, then I switch off the pc and re-connect the cables and nothing happens!

I'm getting no signal to the monitor so I don't know whats in the bios. (Then graphics card starts to warm up, so it must have power to it)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:58 02 Oct 05

mother board? Cpu?

If no screen at all then incorrect graphics arrangement faulty psu, faulty MoBo or faulty CPU.

just plug in cpu 1 stick memory and graphics card does it boot to bios screen with error beeps?

menorcarob2 14:04 02 Oct 05

try changing the cable on the hdd, and make sure that the floppy drive cable is the correct way round

johnpr 14:19 02 Oct 05

The mobo is a pc chips L910m with XP1800

I have tried running it with 1 mem. stick and no ide cables attatched. The monitor clicks when I try either the onboard or graphics card, but still no display

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…