System will not boot up/and crashes and freezes

flypast 20:53 28 Feb 03

These symptoms are as described via a phone call from my daughter.
The PC is approx 3 years old
It has windows 98 and Office 98
Whwn the PC is switched on the normal screen is displayed saying everything has been detected, then an error message is displayed "PCI system error on bus/device/function 0080H "
or alternatively " PCI parity error on bus/device/function" the mains light on the front of the PC then begins to flash.
the third symptom she had was that the PC worked ok, everything loaded as normal, the screen "froze" and the "BOOT UP Screen was displayed with the error message "fixed disc 0 : maxtor 2F03050 (PM).
With the third disp-lay there was no way to get out of the system except unplugging it from the wall.
Any ideas please.
It is my daughter (living 60 miles away so it will take time to try things that you suggest.
If you do know what is wrong, will she be able to recover the information from her hard drive once the problem is fixed.
Thanks in advance.

woodchip 21:15 28 Feb 03

Tell her to start the comp in safe mode, keep pressing F8 when starting computer, then choose safe mode when she gets into windows Go to Start\Run and type MSCONFIG and she needs to click the startup button and untick all except Explorer and System tray. restart computer then let us know what goes on

flypast 21:31 28 Feb 03

Thanks for the help, I will get her to try that and see what happens, I am at the end of a telephone so my response may be delayed.

flypast 14:22 01 Mar 03

The advice was forwarded, and after several false dawns an error message of "stuck key" was displayed.
Following a question and answer routine it transpires that the key board has received several cups of coffee and toasted sandwiches, my daughter is now in the process of buying a new keyboard.
Appaently since the last cup of coffee she has been losing the functionality of the keyboard.
Apologies for not having all the information at the start of this thread.
Pre-signed adoption papers are available on request.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…