System Volume Information using excessive disc space?

BIGKREM 16:07 02 Dec 14

Hi everyone, I have a Samsung Chronos 7laptop. I recently fitted a new 1TB SSD and a new installation of Windows 7 prof. Its running fantastically well but ive noticed there was a lot more storage being used up than I would have thought. Glary utilities showed that "Users" has used 330 GB which is about right with all my pictures and videos etc. But System volume Information, Whatever that is, is using a rather large 298 GB of additional disc space ! Is there any way to recover any of this storage space. And why does system volume need so much space. Thank you for any thoughts on this one, Krem

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:39 02 Dec 14

Or use CCleaner and you can delete any restore points you wish and perhaps just keep the latest one.

BIGKREM 18:21 02 Dec 14

Right, I shall try that, thanks

BIGKREM 18:28 02 Dec 14

Wooohoo ! Just reclaimed 169 GB ! Thanks again.

john bunyan 18:44 02 Dec 14

You can keep this under control by defining how much space is allocated to System Restore.

Click on Start. Right Click on Computer. Click on Properties. Click on System Protection. Click on System Protection Tab. Right click on C: Drive. Click on Configure. In Restore settings click and activate the "Restore System settings and previous versions of files"box. Below, in Disc Space usage, you can move the slider to select the % of the disc allocated to system restore - older points will be deleted if this space fills. Mine is set at 21% 15.34 Gig of my C partition of 120 Gig. With no partition and a 1 TB disc, you should be OK on 15% at max. Press OK when done.

john bunyan 18:45 02 Dec 14

Correction Mine is set to 12% NOT 21!!!

john bunyan 16:01 03 Dec 14

ßeta

Lucky you! I occasionally use it if, for example, I try out a programme (not a "dodgy" one) and do not like it. A restore seems a bit more thorough than an uninstall. I am now happy with iTunes 12, but at first when it came in, I wanted to revert to V. 11, and a system restore was ideal. If you never use it , do you make frequent images?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…