System upgrade - S/W & H/W

Smiler2 16:06 29 Dec 03

I have a gigabyte GA-5AX M/brd with AMD K6-11 proc running Win 98.

I am planning to upgrade from 98 to XP Home.

H/W needs to be upgraded to support ASUS Radeon 9600 XT card & 512mb DDRAM. I have a creative sterio sound card & do not require firewire or LAN.

What is a good loe cost replacement M/brd & proc (ATX tower) & what power PSU should I install?

I am a non expert seeking buying advise. My system is home built.

Thank you.

961 16:14 29 Dec 03

Buy a Dabs Value tower case with 350w min power supply unit included.

If you were happy with Gigabyte and AMD processor stay with those brands. Don't go cutting edge speeds and you should be able to find motherboard and processor with fan for under £100 all in

Gongoozler 16:23 29 Dec 03

A good low cost motherboard is the ASUS A7V8X-X. It's good quality, very easy to set up, and very reliable. £45 inc vat click here

There are lower cost motherboards available, I have had good experiences of the Syntax SV266A at about £25, but others have had problems with it.

xplogos 16:33 29 Dec 03

Ebuyer (click here) are always worth a look if you're buying pc parts. Their cases (with Psu's) normally come in at about £15-£20.

Depending on how much power you want etc, they even do all in one motherboards that are WinXP compatible. Some of the m/boards with the cpus included are good value.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now