System tray

Rhuddlan 17:57 17 May 03

Windows Messenger keeps appearing in the tray, when I go to exit, a message appears saying that I need to close all applications currently using features to do with messenger, like ie, outlook express, and msn explorer, I went into msconfig and disabled this service, restarted the machine, I also went into the registry and tried to locate the file, but I couldn't find it, this still doesn't solve the problem, I have reinstalled windows xp yesterday, is this due to the problem, Rhuddlan. And the message saying that I have changed the configuration in msconfig, keeps appearing every time I or someone else logs on, I keep ticking the box to say not to display this message again.

midget87 18:14 17 May 03

1) Go into Windows Messenger, Tools -> Options -> General and untick the "Run widnows messenger when windows starts" box.

2) Click Start > Run and in the Open: box type the following command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

That'll uninstall windows messenger for you.

hugh-265156 18:18 17 May 03

what is happening is you need to close outlook express first as messenger automatically logs on when this is started.if you want to keep messenger and start up manually open outlook express and go to tools/options/ and untick auto log on to windows messenger.

Rhuddlan 22:47 17 May 03

Another problem in the tray is that at startup, my computer which has just had the os reinstalled, seems to load the three services in the tray at a very slow pace, and when I choose not to have certain items in the tray and uncheck them from msconfig, they still appear, any ideas? Rhuddlan, Thanks for the comments.

hugh-265156 22:55 17 May 03

have a look in the programs own options and see if there is a auto start with windows option that can be unticked.then get click here .after download click on trace next boot and driver then click optomize system.check in services that seheduled tasks are set to auto otherwise this will not work.should speed it up a bit.

hugh-265156 22:57 17 May 03

what are the three programs?

Rhuddlan 23:49 17 May 03

Quicktime 6, NIS & NAV 2003, thanks for the comments.

hugh-265156 23:53 17 May 03

you want norton to start automatically especially if you have a broadband connection.i dont have quicktime at the moment,i did have it before and am nearly sure it has its own start with windows option.

hugh-265156 23:55 17 May 03

in msconfig quicktime is Qttask.exe entry

hugh-265156 00:16 18 May 03
  hugh-265156 00:22 18 May 03

all you need to do is start/run type regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\IconStreams\and delete the PastIconsStreams entry.export and save this first just to be sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…