'SYSTEM TOOLS' MENACE

parkhead 12:50 27 Dec 10

Hi Guys,

I have just had a second ‘infection’ of ‘System Tools’ within a few weeks. It completely disables my computer. I eventually got round it by starting in Safe Mode and going back to a restore point. The first time I got it I was running Avast. The second time I was running Microsoft Security Essentials.

Aren’t these things meant to stop System Tools disabling my computer?

birdface 14:13 27 Dec 10

Basically they are only anti-virus programs and you need An Anti-Malware program that gives you full time protection.
As long as you continue with just anti-virus programs the more likely you are of being infected.
There is None not one Security Suite that will stop all infections.
I believe Malwarebytes Pro is a one off payment so maybe try that.
Look for coupon codes for it and you will get it cheaper.

iscanut2 14:22 27 Dec 10

MS Security Essentials is anti malware as well but obviously did not work in this case. Malwarebytes is a good program but for real time protection, you will need the paid for version. Have a look here for some ideas...click here

Graphicool1 14:26 27 Dec 10

I can't speak up for 'Microsoft Security Essentials' as I don't know what it's supposed to look for on a PC.
But as for AVAST that is primarily an anti-Virus programme and that's what it protects against.

'System Tool' on the other hand is 'Malware' and/or 'Spyware' and as such you should be protecting your PC with...

'Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware' Free version...click here
and
'SpywareTerminator' free...click here

Graphicool1 14:41 27 Dec 10

I forgot to add...'SpywareBlaster' it is also Free and runs continually in the background...click here

iscanut2 15:10 27 Dec 10

The free version of Malwarebytes does not offer real time protection, only scanning after the event.
Spywareblaster is worth a look.

parkhead 15:39 27 Dec 10

Very many thanks, everyone. I have downloaded Spyware Blaster.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…