System Temperatures

sorceror7374 10:33 21 Mar 04

My system is based around an AMD Athlon XP 2000 chip on an Elite (ECS) K7VMM+ motherboard and I've just installed Motherboard Monitor 5 to keep an eye on component temperatures. The program is great however I have no frame of reference as to what the typical or safe temperatures are for the CPU, Case, etc. Anyone out there know where I can find a resource for these types of figures?

The BB 10:41 21 Mar 04

Cooler is better, but recently installed a new motherboard etc. with AMD 2600 and now run the machine with the side off to keep the temperature down to a CPU 46C and case 28C (currently). Even with three fans and the case on the temperatures went up to 62C and 35C so I decided if it was too hot to touch it wsa too hot to use and rather than shell out on a new case and more fans....

Looking at other postings when I started worrying about this I couldn't find anything definitive, except assertions that AMD can run up to 75C and discussions on heat paste to keep the cooling fan on the CPU conducting the heat away.

fsbb 11:03 21 Mar 04

Recently upgraded to Athlon XP 2200+ and Asrock MOBO with standard heatsink etc (no additional cooling)and 2 Maxtor HDs. CPU averages 50c to 55c and case 40c to 50c. Have had no problems. AMD states Athlon XPs max is 85c.

Which 'Motherboard Monitor' are you talking about?

pinka 11:10 21 Mar 04

My first 2 pc's were amd based, a 1700 and 2400. i dont recall the temps for the 1700 but the 2400 used to fluctuate between 55 and 62c, that was with a fan for the 3000+ and 1 case fan. I have sinced changed my allegiance to intel, traitor you may cry ... yes but mine now runs at a cool 37c under load :)

Indigo 1 12:01 21 Mar 04

Intel chips run a lot cooler than AMD's but that does not mean they are any better.

AMD temps between 50 deg C and 70 deg C are normal, case temps for AMD based systems would normally be 40 to 50.

If your PC is stable at 70 with a case temp of 50 don't worry about it. you can bring your temps down a little with a couple of extra fans in the right places and by the correct choice of fans.

For reference my Athlon Thunderbird 1 Ghz runs at a steady 55 with case temp of 40, while my overclocked XP2600+ Barton running at 2133 Mhz (equivalent to XP2800+) runs at a cool 38 deg C with 32 deg C case temps due to correct choice and positioning of fans. It will touch 42 deg C under full load with case temps of 38 but soon cools down again when load is reduced.

An excellent article explains in detail how to choose and position fans click here it is really concerned with keeping down noise but also deals with heat.

JerryJay 12:06 21 Mar 04

AMD CPU's design temperature is about 85C, but the higher the temperature, the short of the CPU life span. In UK, I would say try to keep CPU temperature under 50C. I have a SFF PC with very small case (difficult for cooling), but my temperature never go over 48C with a XP2400 CPU. My Intel P4 2.0G never go over 35C. In hot place, it may be difficult to get pc cool.

Mikè 13:01 21 Mar 04

I have an extremely full case (4 optical and five hard drives) with a slightly overclocked xp2400, running as xp2600. Cpu temp peaks at 40C and case is typicaly 35C. Speedfan is a much easier to use monitor but gives all the essential info, it scans devices at startup and requires minimal setting up. click here

radi8or 13:14 21 Mar 04

fsbb,

click here

Regards Bob

radi8or 13:18 21 Mar 04

fsbb,

Main site

click here

Regards Bob

Rayuk 13:44 21 Mar 04

Only reason you need to use a monitor is if you are having crashing problems,or overclocking and want to keep an eye on the temp.

If neither of these affects you I wouldnt bother using it

Indigo 1 19:33 21 Mar 04

My point is this, if your PC is running OK and is stable don't worry too much about the temperature, if you are having problems like lock-ups and crashing after periods of heavy activity such as gaming then suspect a heat problem. Or if it starts up OK and then runs fine for a while just surfing the net or typing in Word but crashes when trying something a little more intensive like processing large Excell documents, then start to suspect a heat problem.

Trying to get your system temps down just because they are not a low as someone elses can be very expensive and time consuming (I speak from experience), a couple of extra fans won't break the bank but probably will not make a huge difference to temps either (2 to 6 deg C at best). For a bigger reduction (in the region of 10 to 15 deg C) you are going to have to spend around £50, for ane even bigger reduction expect that sum to double.

My advice is don't get too hung up on temps if they are not causing problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…