System Temperature

BrianW 09:16 16 Apr 03

I've just installed a Gigabyte K7 Triton 400 motherboard with 512 of DDR2700 ram / Duron1300 CPU. The installation was very easy and the system booted straight into my Win98se (didn't clean boot - I thought I would chance it this time). So - I have a running and, apparently, very stable system. But I notice that the CPU temperature and system temperature are higher than my old Duron 750 / 512 sd-ram system. I expected the CPU to go up (from aound 40-43 deg C to 45 - 50 deg C) but was suprised that the system temp has gone from around 35 deg C to 40 - 45 deg C. Is this to be expected (faster ddr-ram / n-board/s-board chips)?

DieSse 09:43 16 Apr 03

That's very high for a system temperature - if you haven't got a case fan I would suggest you fit one.

BrianW 12:35 16 Apr 03

Thanks Diesse, that's what I thought. I have a case fan fitted and will re-check the situation with the case side off - but I think it was running this high when I first tested it (when the case was off).

The Sack 13:15 16 Apr 03

Just a tip, if you run the RAM at PC2100 it will be in sync with the FSB of the Duron and it in theory will perform better.

MartinT-B 13:20 16 Apr 03

It's not Theory.

BrianW 17:10 16 Apr 03

I had a look here, click here, it appears that the temperatures I am getting are typical for this board with only one case fan fitted (my case). Quite a lot of posts about it and the general conclusion seems to be that at least two case fans are needed, plus a two fan PSU is desirable. So, a bit more dosh to go. However - I must say I am very impressed with the ease of install, much easier than any board I've used so far. Thanks for the comments / help

binkitone 17:19 16 Apr 03

Just in comparison; I change from a 650Mhz Duron to a 1.2Ghz Athlon and found cpu temp above 60 degrees and crashes occuring at 65.
I re-applied thermal paste to the cpu heatsink and added an extra case fan this only reduce it to 55, though this seems OK.

BrianW 20:44 16 Apr 03

Thanks for the input binkitone - I'll monitor the situation - so far, no sign of going over 50.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…