System Startup problems - blue screening

Large JD 18:31 15 Jan 06

HELP!!!
"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" is the message that i'm getting on a mate's pc. We were about to install an additional HD, wired everything up, no probs. When i turned the PC on Windows reported an incorrect shut down and checked the disc for errors. (My mate said that there may have been a problem at shut down). After it had done this and rebooted, we kept getting the above blue screen message, with a STOP ref as follows 0x0000000A (0x0A2D000D,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x804F0406). I have now disconnected the additional HD. PC will start up in safe mode. This sort of stuff is above my knowledge level.
If someone could give me some pointers, it would be much appriciated..
Many Thanks
JD

Softstag 18:32 15 Jan 06

Try going in to the BIOS and loading the defaults.

PC Bilbo 18:40 15 Jan 06

Read this on MS Support it may help
click here

Large JD 18:55 15 Jan 06

Thanks for the pointers. I will investigate both options in the morning.
Cheers Softstag, PC Bilbo

Large JD 11:49 16 Jan 06

Hi again,
I have loaded BIOS defaults, and carried out removed disconnected all devices, cards etc. still no joy. Mboard is running latest version of the BIOS. I have not yet flashed the bios as my pc doesn't have a floppy drive, and the EZ flash on the problem pc mboard is telling me it will flash it from A:/ Not sure how to tell it to flash from CD rom.
Any more ideas??
JD

Softstag 20:51 16 Jan 06

I wouldn't flash the BIOS, especially if it was working OK before.

You say that the PC starts up in Safe Mode, so it is functioning of sorts. I would take the old hard drive out, put in the new one (I assume it is blank), install a clean copy of Windows on it and see how it goes. If it is OK, then you can install the original hard drive and copy any data across.

Large JD 08:42 17 Jan 06

I was hoping to avoid going down this route hell of a lot of work reinstalling programs etc. Why is the pc starting up in safe mode? does that not mean windows is intact?
JD

Softstag 08:46 17 Jan 06

No, it means that the hardware is functioning. Probably Windows is corrupt, but managing to work in it's most basic form.

gomezchar 09:30 17 Jan 06

its probably a driver problem or corrupt system files..
you can try to recover corrupted files by running:
sfc /scannow at the RUN command box.
i suggest you scan your pc for spyware, virus
download a free software from click here

Large JD 14:36 18 Jan 06

Took your advise Softstag
Have now re-installed Windows onto the new drive. Windows now boots up fine. I don't suppose there's a quick way of transferring installed programs from the previous HD
JD

PC Bilbo 22:15 18 Jan 06

You could connect your old drive on same IDE cable and set it as Slave and drag and drop any document/picture files over that way if you can read it from new drive.

Probably a good idea to check BIOS has HDD0 (master) drive set as 1st boot device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…