System standby and hybernation?

STEVE71163 07:32 29 Aug 03

I leave my pc on 24/7 with the hard drives set to turn off after an hour and set to go into system standby after an hour. When i got up this morning and tried to use my pc the psu fan was running but when i moved the mouse it did not work and also i noticed that the link light on my broadband modem was out. In the end i just pushed the reset button and all worked ok. Is this system standby suddenly working?

STEVE71163 11:57 29 Aug 03

STEVE71163 22:00 29 Aug 03

feb 23:05 29 Aug 03

sounds like its going into hibernation, not a problem you need to go into settings>control panel>power options and make it do what you want it to do!

Ironman556 23:58 29 Aug 03

On XP I have to push the power button to bring mine out of standby, but the fan's don't keep going (which is annoying because it gets toasty after a bit).

In hibernation it should totally shut the PC down and you can unplug from the mains. Next time you reboot it's as if you've not even shut the PC down and you can carry on from where you left.

Om my 98 PC however standby leaves the fans going, and all I have to do is hit the power button on the keyboard or move the mouse. One thing I have found about 98 is that it doesn't always like waking up once it's been sleeping for a while and switching off is the only answer.

Sounds like a standby mode to me, try hitting the power button on the keyboard or using the main power button on the PC tower to bring you out of standby.

feb 00:12 30 Aug 03

what system are you using & what make of pc

STEVE71163 07:09 30 Aug 03

Thanks for replys. I am using xp and i built the pc myself. I think it must have gone into hybernation but all seems ok now so i will tick the box. Thanks for replys!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…