System slowdown

the old man 10:09 25 Nov 06

I have done the obligatory search on google for wowexec.exe and found it is a system file.
However bearing this in mind when I open taskmanager I am expecting it to show as a process running within the system.
No. It is shown as running under my login, has a space before the word and shows no cpu or memory usage, not zero but just shows blank. The space is there because the info in taskmanager is slightly offset.
Now what I would like help with is to try and identify whether this is a similar setup in other people's XP system.
Would be grateful if a few of you could send me info on if you have a similar thing on your systems. If not I think I may have a virus.
Something is causing the system slowdown and problems with WMP10 but I have not been able to find out for the last 10 days.
Thanks in anticipation.
Explained this to IT guys at work and they were bemused.

gudgulf 10:50 25 Nov 06

Wowexec.exe is part of Windows XPs 16bit subsystem.

It is a sort of DOS/16-bit emulation which allows the running of older pre XP programs.

When you see it in Task Manager it does indeed show no resource usage.

It certainly isn't a virus click here

Perhaps you could explain your actual problem in detail and give us your system specs.

The fact you are seeing wowexec in Task manager suggests you have a old/DOS program running on your system.Do you know of any old prgrams that you have on the pc?

Have you checked with any anti-virus/anti-spyware scanners that your system is clean?

Technotiger 10:52 25 Nov 06

Hi, I have had a look in my task manager/processes, wow-wotsit thingy is not listed, so I believe it would be safe for you to get rid of it. I have XP Home(SP2).

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5