System Shutting Down when processing..?!

stupeedo 11:34 12 Nov 05

Whenever I attempt to do anything 'strenuous' (i.e. FM2006, converting files, Disk Cleanup, GoogleEarth, etc) with my machine, it suddenly turns itself off after a few minutes of processing - without warning!

It's almost like having a power cut. Is this a typical symptom of overheating?

I have a 3.2Ghz Intel CPU with 1GB RAM (more than enough to do the not-so-strenuous tasks above).

Any ideas how I can resolve the solution? I've just started my second season in the Premiership... :)

Diodorus Siculus 11:45 12 Nov 05

Yes, certainly sounds like an overheating problem.

Check that fans are working ok.

How old is the PC?

stupeedo 11:53 12 Nov 05

It was made in September 2004, little over a year old. How do I go about checking the fans are all ok?

Diodorus Siculus 12:12 12 Nov 05

The easiest way is to open it up and have a look.

Also a can of compresses air is helpful for blowing off dust. Ensure the machine is switched off...

stupeedo 11:41 13 Nov 05

well I've taken the back off and given it a good clean out, it seemed to be OK for a bit but then it shut down again last night (whilst playing FM and again whilst converting mp3s).

Any ideas on what to do next?

Diodorus Siculus 11:43 13 Nov 05

When it has been running for a few hours, look in the bios for the system temperature - should be under "system health". See what it is reported as.

The heatsink / fan may need changing.

Having said all that, there may be something more than over heating causing the problem...

stupeedo 11:47 13 Nov 05

quick question - how do i look at the BIOS when the machine is already running (only ever looked at it on start up).

ta

Diodorus Siculus 17:31 13 Nov 05

When booting up, you should see a messge "press del to enter setup" or the like.

Sorry about any confusion - what I meant by "running for a few hours" was for you to restart and then enter the bios.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…