System shutdown every time the internet is used

? DP ? 17:35 08 May 04

My Dad is having problems with his computer running XP Home. Every time a connection is made to the internet, a couple of minutes passes before an error message comes up saying:

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

This is followed by a system shutdown box with a one minute countdown, which cannot be closed and always restarts the PC. The message in this box is as follows:

"The system is shutting down.......this shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM...... Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly"

Any ideas of what this is, why it happens and how to stop it would be greatly appreciated. My thanks in advance to all those clever people out there who I know will be able to solve this problem!!!

VoG II 17:36 08 May 04

Sasser virus or one of its variants.

VoG II 17:36 08 May 04
  ? DP ? 17:44 08 May 04

I doubt it, antivirus software is up to date and doesn't recognise anything wrong. Also, although I am only posting it now, this has been a problem for several months!

VoG II 17:52 08 May 04

Blaster then:

"Symptoms Of MSBlast Infection

You may experience frequent unexpected reboots due to the activities of the MSBlast Worm. The specific message in the System Shutdown window that pops up will be "Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call [RPC] service terminated unexpectedly".

You may also get an alert box labelled "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" that says "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close".

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac